Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine

Go down

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Empty Appreciating Maddux, Glavine

Post  RedMagma Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57 am

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter

In time, more names will come out, and some, like Roger Clemens, will have time to prove their innocence. But as we look askew at all the numbers and records and glory of "The Steroid Era," two men born three weeks apart in 1966, drafted in the same second round in 1984, and, ironically, paired for the infamous "chicks dig the long ball" commercial seem even greater today than they did when the 2007 season ended.

At this point in sports history, we cannot assume anyone's innocence, but no one has ever tied Greg Maddux or Tom Glavine to any scandal involving steroids, HGH or anything else. We have watched Maddux extend his career creating new pitches to mix with a fastball that on its good days hit 83 mph on the radar gun. And we have watched Glavine stoically speed-walk to 303 wins; only in the last two years has he adjusted to coming inside with his fastball and changeup and using his curveball better.

And here they are, without one question raised about whether or not they belong in Cooperstown. Before they retire in the next year or two, if they remain unquestioned, then their first-ballot elections may produce a higher percentage than one can now imagine. They will be held up as a couple of guys who won with resolution, creativity and guile in an era of power pitching and hitting.

If Clemens does not pitch again, Maddux in 2008 likely will get the eight wins he needs to surpass Clemens' career total of 354. Look, this is not a referendum on Clemens' staunch claim that he will prove the Brian McNamee testimony to George Mitchell to be false and that his 354 wins are unstained. But when Maddux first pitched in the majors in September of 1986, Clemens was already wrapping up his first Cy Young; since that debut, Maddux has actually won 39 more games than Clemens.

Since Glavine made his debut the following August, he has one more win than Roger, 303-302.

Granted, Maddux and Glavine pitched for some very good teams, but Maddux has won four Cy Young Awards, with one second- and two third-place finishes. Glavine has two Cy Young Awards, one second-place finish and two thirds, and he closed out the 1995 World Series with a one-hitter.

Maddux led the league in wins thrice, Glavine five times. Maddux led the league in innings pitched five straight years, from 1991 through 1995, and seven times led the league in games started. Glavine led the league in games started six times. Maddux won at least 15 games 17 years in a row and threw at least 200 innings 14 straight seasons. And those 2.18/2.36/1.56/1.63 ERAs in consecutive years in the mid-'90s, when offenses became inflated, are simply astounding. There was perhaps no one greater than Pedro Martinez during his prime in the American League East, but Maddux, at age 41, has stayed out there for all those innings to make his run at Clemens. If Maddux starts 10 games next season, he will have started more games than anyone but Cy Young, Nolan Ryan and Don Sutton. Warren Spahn, Steve Carlton and Eddie Plank are the only left-handers to have ever won more games than Glavine.

Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild maintains that Maddux may be the only pitcher who essentially invented two pitches -- the cutting fastball that rides either back over the inside corner to right-handed batters or over the outside backdoor corner to lefties -- as well as throwing the changeup inside, a practice that was taboo for generations. Ask Derek Lowe or Chris Young or any young pitcher who'll listen, and they'll tell you how Maddux changed the way they watch games, study hitters and pitch. He won 14 games last season for the Padres with stuff that most amateur scouts would classify as "Josh Towers -- tops."

This has been a trying time for those who care about the game. We don't know what's real and what isn't, who's lying and who's telling the truth, which rats are telling the truth they so long skirted.

We have judged players by their appearances, and in this time have watched Maddux and Glavine go from phenoms who threw in the 90s to guys who figured out somehow, some way to beat hitters while appearing like a couple of insurance salesmen playing golf at the country club. So, on a Christmas when too many lights have burned out and too many stars and ornaments seem to have fallen from the trees, it seems like the right time to put the careers of a couple of 41-year-olds in perspective, and appreciate that if any two players embody the good old days, they are Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine, Hall of Famers.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Empty Re: Appreciating Maddux, Glavine

Post  RedMagma Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:59 am

Alberto Gonzalez

Alberto Gonzalez now has an 11-game hit streak.

Friday Gonzalez was 2-4 with a double.

Saturday Gonzalez was 2-4 with a HR and a double.

For the season: .348/.395/.539 with a .934 OPS and 4 HRs, 2 triples, 6 doubles in 31 games and 115 AB.

For the last 11 gms: .432/.510/.750 with a 1.260 OPS, 6 BB, 19-44, 3 HR, 5 doubles.

Count me as officially impressed with Gonzalez.

Since Gonzalez was demoted to AA mid-season,

Gonzaez has been
40-110 (.364), 0 HR, 2 T, 10 D, 11 BB in AA
38-125 (.304), 1 HR, 4 T, 9 D, 10 BB in AAA.
40-115 (.348), 4 HR, 2 T, 6 D, 7 BB in VWL.

Total
118 for 350, .337 BA, 5 HRs, 8 T, 25 D, 28 BB, .386 OBP, .497 SLG, 883 OPS.

I am starting to think Gonzalez can hit .300 with good gap power in AAA in 2008.

I would not have Gonzalez begin the season with the NY Yankees as a utility infielder because the utility infielder will play rarely if ARod/Jeter/Cano are healthy, Gonzlaez needs playing time to develop further, and he hasn't played 3B or 2B in games yet.

IMO, it is much better to have Gonzalez begin the season with SWB. Let him learn to play 3B and 2B. If there is an injury to any of ARod/Jeter/Cano, Gonzalez will be a lot sharper if he is playing in AAA vs sitting on the bench in NY. And if it turns out the Yankees have a glaring need, what a plus it would be to have a 24-year old, good defensive SS (he will be 24 on April 18) who is hitting over .300 in AAA as a trading chip.

Any team that was looking for starting SS because their SS was injured or just not that good would be interested in Gonzalez if he was hitting .300+ and since good-fielding, good-hitting shortstops are hard to come by, the Yanks could get a lot in return for him - assuming that a team that had a need for a SS had something the Yanks wanted in return.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Boy, this is entertaining reading….

I just want to point out that the Yankees have been in the hunt for Santana, then out, then in, then out. Did anybody here believe it last week when there were indications that the Yanks were backing out of this thing?

All we can do is report what we learn, and I learned yesterday that the Twins spoke with the Yanks, Mets and Red Sox before Christmas, that Kei Igawa came up in SOME trade scenarios and that the Mets still have a chance.

The Mets development startled me the most because the Twins, for weeks, claimed a deal couldn’t be made without Reyes, so I view that as a change in their stance.

Many Yankees and Mets fans come on this blog and want to attack people. That’s expected, but these charges that I have little journalistic integrity is crap. I try to serve my readership and report what I know. I could give less than a crap about getting national recognition. I have a paycheck to earn and practicing good journalism helps me earn that paycheck.

Until Santana is traded, there will be twists and turns and changes in position and players being mentioned and fragments of information that will be reported on. Teams will float information out there to rattle other teams’ cages. That’s the nature of the business. It stinks sometimes, but that’s the nature of the business.

But I don’t make up news. I have a conscience.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm

How about Redsox Lavelle, you also forgot about them that They're also visit this blog and attack like Mets and Yankees Fans do?
No Buccholtz and Ellsbury = No Johan..

I don't want stinking coco crisp and bunch of minor leaguers...

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Empty My list of Players that Yankees should draft next year in Ml

Post  RedMagma Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:30 pm

My list of Players that Yankees should draft next year in Mlb Draft 2008

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=785&draftId=6

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Sonny_gray

Name: Sonny Gray
Height/Weight: 6-0 / 185
Date of Birth: 11/7/89
School: Smyrna (TN)
Brewerfan.net Rank: 22

Despite his smallish 6’0”, 185 pound frame, Gray is a phenomenal athlete with tremendous pure stuff. He displays one of the easiest arm actions around, with a whip-like delivery that allows him to touch the mid-90s with ease, sitting in the low-90s deep into ballgames. He also throws a nasty slider that has touched the mid-80s on occasion, a pitch that is virtually unhittable when it is working as it well as it often does. He also excels at the plate, with a good stroke and intriguing power potential. His athleticism allowed him to star as his team’s starting quarterback as well, leading his team to the state championship game a year ago. If Gray were just a couple of inches taller he likely would be in the three to five range joining prep pitchers such as Tim Melville, Alex Meyer and Gerrit Cole, but since he’s not the short righty stigma persists. He is also a very good student, and has committed to play for Vanderbilt, and program that has found a way to sway some of the top players in the nation away from signing in recent years. Any shorter righty with electric stuff is bound to draw a comparison or two to Roy Oswalt.

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=770&draftId=6
Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Alex_meyer

Name: Alex Meyer
Height/Weight: 6-7 / 200
Date of Birth: 1/3/90
School: Greensburg (IN)
Brewerfan.net Rank: 10

Alex “Bubba” Meyer is a very big and imposing right-handed pitcher that has an equally imposing fastball. His size allows him to maintain his velocity deep into games while leading scouts to believe that he is just beginning to tap into his endless potential. That fastball sits in the low-90s now with natural late darting movement, touching the mid-90s with increased regularity, and he spots the pitch very well. He has a classic power pitcher’s approach, using his fastball early in the count to set up his improving slider, a legitimate swing and miss pitch. He also throws a changeup, a pitch that needs work although a pitch he hasn’t needed much in his high school career given his power arsenal. Alex was an Aflac All-American.

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=789&draftId=6

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Jarret_martin

Name: Jarret Martin
Height/Weight: 6-3 / 200
Date of Birth: 8/14/89
School: Centennial (CA)
Brewerfan.net Rank: 24

Martin is a player on the rise, with a very impressive showing last summer at the Area Code Games despite not being universally ranked among the top players in the nation before that point in time. Martin has the entire package: The perfect build, a loose and easy arm action that he repeats well, improving velocity, good control and a good head on his shoulders. His consistent low-90s heater with good dip and dive late in the zone is what gets your attention first, and then he pulls out a hammer curveball in the mid-70s and a relatively polished change, showing the ability to change speeds and command the strike zone. Like so many left-handed pitchers, he also has a pretty swing at the plate that allows him to drive the ball to all parts of the field, but his future clearly lies on the mound.

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=786&draftId=6

Appreciating Maddux, Glavine Brett_devall

Name: Brett DeVall
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 220
Date of Birth: 1/8/90
School: Niceville (FL)
Brewerfan.net Rank: 28

DeVall is the textbook definition of a crafty lefty. While he can still hump up his fastball to the low-90s, touching the mid-90s on a few occasions when he’s not worrying about saving his arm strength for an entire game, he works predominantly in the 88-91 range. His fastball shows good life, and he spots it extremely well. He uses his fastball perfectly to set up his breaking ball and changeup, with both of those pitches showing good velocity and bite. His big frame leads many to believe that he should have no problems maintaining his velocity deep into ballgames and has been fairly durable and reliable throughout hhis young career. He has plenty of big-game situations under his belt playing for the East Cobb program, and is a candidate to soar through the minor leagues given his ability to carve up hitters, even on days when he doesn’t have his best stuff.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum