Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett - Page 3 Empty Re: My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:39 am

Arquimedez Bozo wrote:

Steve ATL: Happy New Year, Jim, Sox Come out Thursday. I know you love Lars, but what do you think about Mailman, Rizzo, Almanzar and Place? Any with star potential?

SportsNation Jim Callis: That reminds me--I'll be doing a Red Sox prospects chat at baseballamerica.com on Friday. I'd rank those guys (and I did in the Prospect Handbook): 3B Michael Almanzar, 1B Anthony Rizzo, OF Jason Place, OF David Mailman. May be selling Mailman a little short there. The Red Sox are very enthused about Rizzo.

Whoa. Did NOT see that coming.

Is it possible that the system is deeper than we even realize? I'm most anxious to see where the draftees rank in the Sox top 30 in the Handbook. Rizzo seems to be an afterthought among those guys - if he's top 25 or so as well... yikes.

Rizzo hasn't played enough to build hype around here. At a very young age, he's already scary strong (6'3" 220lb at age 17). Given how little he's got to play professionally at this point in time, all we can really go by with him is scouting reports and if you believe them, he can be a special player. With his size, power to all fields now, and above average defense, he is someone to watch. This is going out on a limb but when age is factored in, he may be a bit more advanced/gifted than Lars. That's not comparing (or overstating/understating) potential or what they've done in terms of production, but when you factor in Lars Anderson is 2 full years older, Rizzo may be the more physically advanced now of the 2. I'm not a big fan of calling players the second coming or talking up players prematurely but I think very soon that Rizzo is going to be in the same conversation as Lars.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett - Page 3 Empty Re: My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:42 am

Yankees should draft 1st baseman and lhp.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:54 am

Carmen, Angelini and Austin Romine playing 1st base next season? They were both listed as 1st baseman,

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=475

GCL Yankees
Rookie Gulf Coast League
MLB Parent Club: NY Yankees
Stats
AVG:
HR:
RBI:
SB:
Bookmark Player
Full Name: Carmen Angelini
Born: 09/22/1988
Birthplace: Lake Charles, LA
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 185
Bats: R
Throws: R

2007 Season
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
YAN GCL .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Minors .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Last 10 Games: (Current team only)
Date OPP AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS
Aug 25 IND .000 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
Totals .000 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

Splits: (Current team only)
Entire Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
vs Left 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
vs Right .000 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Home Games .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Day Games .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
On Grass .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
August .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Bases Empty .000 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000
Runners On 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Season Totals .000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .00

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett - Page 3 Empty Roger Clemens won't be Yankee in 2008

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:06 am

Roger Clemens won't be Yankee in 2008

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/03/2008-01-03_roger_clemens_wont_be_yankee_in_2008-2.html

BY ANTHONY McCARRON
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 3rd 2008, 4:00 AM

Is there a chance for the Rocket's third stage in pinstripes? Not likely, says Hank Steinbrenner.

So if embattled righthander Roger Clemens, who is fighting to restore his reputation after the allegations about him in the Mitchell Report, pitches a 25th season, it is probably not going to be in the Bronx.

"I'm not signing Clemens," Steinbrenner, the Yankees' senior vice president, said in a telephone interview yesterday. He said the Yanks are not looking for rotation stopgaps - like they were last season - because they are so enamored of their young starting pitchers. And Steinbrenner feels the Yanks already have a strong mentor to the young arms in Andy Pettitte, whom Steinbrenner praised for his "veteran leadership.

"Andy is (signed) for one year and he's only 35 and he knows how to pitch in the big games," Steinbrenner said. "Roger does, too, but let's face it, he's going to be 46 (in August).

"Pettitte is just as good with the young pitchers, though Clemens was great with the young kids last year. I don't think Roger is going to come back anyway."

The Yankees, like many teams, take very seriously the idea of veterans mentoring young pitchers. Last year, they put Joba Chamberlain's locker next to Clemens' in the clubhouse when Chamberlain was called up.

Clemens' personal trainer, Brian McNamee, accused him of using steroids and human growth hormone in the Mitchell Report, but the seven-time Cy Young Award winner has denied it. He is scheduled to address McNamee's claims in an interview with Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes," slated to air Sunday.

Joe Householder, a spokesman for Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said in an e-mail yesterday that Clemens will hold a press conference Monday afternoon "in or near downtown Houston."

Steinbrenner said he had not spoken to Clemens since the release of the Mitchell Report, but there's a reason for that. "I don't know him, really," Steinbrenner said. "Our paths didn't really cross. Never did."

Clemens has been "unretiring" since 2003, when most thought he waved goodbye to baseball when he came out of his Game4 start in the World Series against the Marlins. It is unclear whether Clemens will attempt to play next season, although there have been reports that say the Rocket will consider it. One of Clemens' agents, Randy Hendricks, did not return an e-mail yesterday seeking comment on his client's playing plans.

Since that 2003 Series start, Clemens pitched three seasons for the Astros and was 6-6 with a 4.18 ERA last year for the Yankees, who after being desperate for starting pitching, gave him a prorated $28million contract last season. He signed May 6 and made his first start in the majors on June9.

But he proved fragile, too. He lasted 2-1/3 innings in his Game3 start in the division series against the Indians because his left hamstring locked up. Groin issues delayed his first big-league outing and he started only twice in September because of an elbow problem, blisters on his right foot and a strained left hamstring.

Asked after his playoff start if he took a moment to consider that it might be his last game, Clemens curtly said, "No."

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:12 am

Hank Yanks: We have shot at Johan Santana

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/03/2008-01-03_yanks_we_have_shot_at_johan_santana.html?ref=rss

BY ANTHONY McCARRON

After what he described as a "slow holiday season" for baseball business, Hank Steinbrenner is returning to his office Thursday to begin working on "a final decision" regarding a trade for Johan Santana. And he believes the Yankees have made the top offer for the Minnesota ace.

"I think the Twins realize our offer is the best one," Steinbrenner said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "I feel confident they're not going to trade him before checking with us one last time and I think they think we've already made the best offer."

Steinbrenner said the offer "does not include two of the three young pitchers" - Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy, from a group that also includes untouchable Joba Chamberlain - "but it's still the best one. And let's face it, we're the best able to handle the kind of contract (extension) Santana will be after."

Steinbrenner would not divulge the Yanks' offer, but multiple reports have pegged it as Hughes, outfielder Melky Cabrera, pitching prospect Jeff Marquez and another prospect. Santana, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, probably would require a huge extension with his potential new team to waive his no-trade clause. Some reports have said it could be as much as six years for $120 million.

The Mets remain in the mix, too, with prospects such as pitchers Mike Pelfrey, Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey and outfielders Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. However, Jose Reyes won't be involved in any potential trade, GM Omar Minaya has said repeatedly. Some in the game believe the Mets eventually will land Santana, if only because they might need him the most and might be convinced to overpay.

There has been only minor dialogue between the Yankees and Twins lately, Steinbrenner said, but that figures to heat up soon. "We're not desperate, so we're not going to chase anything," Steinbrenner said. But, he added, "In the next two weeks, we're going to have to get everything done.

"I either have to do it (a Santana deal) or don't do it, same thing for the Red Sox, I guess," Steinbrenner added. "I think the Twins would like to keep him, so I don't think there's any hurry on anyone's part. It all depends on what he asks for in an extension. You obviously have to be very careful with pitchers, for obvious reasons."

There has been a popular theory among some in baseball that the Red Sox have talked to the Twins about a trade only to drive up the price on the Yankees, but Steinbrenner says he doesn't believe that's true.

"At the same time, we won't be in it to keep him from them," Steinbrenner said. "Each team is in it for what they can handle. We have great young pitching, that's the main plan. Do we want to put Santana in there, who's 29 (in March), to be an ace for a few years?

"I know a majority of fans don't want to lose Hughes."

Steinbrenner reiterated that he would be delighted to get Santana but also happy to "stay the way we are. We're going to have the best pitching by far in baseball in two or three years and we'll be tough this year.

"We obviously already have position players."

Can Hank shut up already for crying out loud. He talks too much. My advice to Hank please hangup the f*cking phone when NY Media call you or say no comment.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am

Hank Yanks: We have shot at Johan Santana

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/03/2008-01-03_yanks_we_have_shot_at_johan_santana.html?ref=rss

"I think the Twins realize our offer is the best one," Steinbrenner said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "I feel confident they're not going to trade him before checking with us one last time and I think they think we've already made the best offer."

Some in the game believe the Mets eventually will land Santana, if only because they might need him the most and might be convinced to overpay.

"We're not desperate, so we're not going to chase anything," Steinbrenner said. But, he added, "In the next two weeks, we're going to have to get everything done.

"I either have to do it (a Santana deal) or don't do it, same thing for the Red Sox, I guess," Steinbrenner added. "I think the Twins would like to keep him, so I don't think there's any hurry on anyone's part. It all depends on what he asks for in an extension. You obviously have to be very careful with pitchers, for obvious reasons."

"I know a majority of fans don't want to lose Hughes."

Steinbrenner reiterated that he would be delighted to get Santana but also happy to "stay the way we are. We're going to have the best pitching by far in baseball in two or three years and we'll be tough this year.

"We obviously already have position players."

Can Hank shut up already for crying out loud. He talks too much. My advice to Hank please hangup the f*cking phone when NY Media call you or say no comment.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3