Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez - Page 2 Empty Re: Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:57 am

Jan 18, 2008 10:33 am - Quote: BA’s Callis on F’Mart and Gomez
http://www.metsblog.com/

Earlier this week, in a report for the Boston Herald, Michael Silverman talked with Jim Callis and John Manuel from Baseball America about a variety of the prospects being mentioned in rumored deals for Johan Santana.

Regarding the Mets rumored five-player offer, which could include 19–year-old OF Fernando Martinez, Manuel said…

“(Martinez’s) offensive potential is significant. (He’s) a special offensive player…he can do anything he wants offensively.”

However, yesterday, in a chat for ESPN.com, Callis was questioned by a reader as though he made the statement, not Manuel. Callis responded by saying…

“Wait a minute…I never said Martinez can do anything he wants offensively. In that article in the Boston Herald, I said the Mets’ offer potential could be the best — if it includes Martinez, Guerra and Gomez AND they all reach their potential. That’s a big IF, because there’s a significant gap between their present abilities and their ceilings. If someone wanted to gamble, that could be a big payoff. But you also could be left holding the bag if only one of those guys pans out as hoped. The problem with the Mets’ packages is that Humber and Pelfrey have diminished value, Mulvey is interesting but not a frontline pitcher and their best players lack a lot of polish because they’re so young.”

…for the exact reasons that callis believes the Twins should be hesitant, are the exact reasons why i would pull the trigge

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez - Page 2 Empty Re: Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:03 am

The road to the Super Bowl

January

After picking the score of the Giants game exactly last week, the pressure on this week’s NFL picks is incredible. Fortunately, I’m doped up on codeine cough syrup and feel no pressure. So here are the selections:

AFC: The Mighty Patriots didn’t get this far to lose now. Their running game has emerged in the last month and insane genius Bill Belichick actually has his players believing they Chargers are a better team. San Diego is banged up and won their Super Bowl last week. I’m somewhat concerned about LaDanian Tomlinson going wild on the team he hates. But Norv Turner is no match for the Hoodie and Tom Brady. Patriots 34, Chargers 14.

NFC: Four of us went to Green Bay to see the Pats plays there last season. The Packers were awful and Brett Favre looked finished. It has been shocking to see their rise this season and I still don’t believe in them. Yes, I know it’s going to be cold. I know it seems like destiny for Favre to meet Brady in the Super Bowl. I know everybody outside of the tri-state area is rooting for the Packers. But the Giants are a cold-weather team. They can run the ball, play defense and Eli Manning is suited for a short-passing game. It’s all turnovers in a game like this. Giants 17, Packers 16.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 am

Pinch hitting: Our own SJ44
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

He doesn’t have his own blog but SJ44 has been a loyal and prolific poster on this blog for a long time. A businessman from Florida, Joe keeps close track of the prospects and has had a chance to meet several people in the organization. Because of his knowledge of the prospects, I invited him to give some thoughts:

We have now entered what I like to call, Prospect Season.

Prospect Season consists of various perspectives from people who follow minor league player development. With the Yankees, this has become a growing passion due to the fact we actually have prospects again! So much so, there are people in baseball who now feel the Yankees have one of the three or four best farm systems in the game. A FAR cry from 2004 when the consensus was the Yankees had the worst farm system in baseball.

One of the problems I encounter with these lists are they often fail to inform fans whether or not the listed players can actually help the parent club in 2008. Let’s face it, that’s what most fans want to know when it comes to prospects.

To that end, I have compiled a list featuring the four players who can impact the Yankees this season. I did not include Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy on the list. Mainly because, in my mind, they are no longer prospects. They are young players with an expected role on the team. My list features guys some fans may not think about when it comes to players who can help the Yankees win in 2008.

So, here goes:

Jose Veras: In my mind, he is the one guy whose success (or lack of success) can lead to a domino effect on the Yankees this season. If he is successful, Joba becomes a full-time starter faster, bullpen roles become more defined and the Yankees have another young, power arm in front of Mariano. If he is not successful, Joba may stay in the bullpen, guys like LaTroy Hawkins and/or Kyle Farnsworth will have to take on bigger roles (not what the Yankees want) and they may have to go outside the organization (and part with a player or two they don’t want to lose) to strengthen the bullpen. Does that put a lot of pressure on Veras? Perhaps but, he is showing that he may be up to the task. He is coming off a dominant Winter League season. His fastball was consistently clocked in the mid-90’s and the bite returned to his slider. More importantly, his control was outstanding. If Veras’ performance from the winter carries over to spring training, he is not only going to make the team, he will have a key role in the bullpen. Mariano Rivera once told me he thought Veras had the most potential of any of the younger guys they have tried in the bullpen. This spring, we will see if he is correct.

Ross Ohlendorf: Here is another young, power arm whose success can make life easier for the Yankees. Unlike Veras, who could develop into an 8th inning guy, Ohlendorf is a guy who can pitch two innings at a time, something the Yankee bullpen may need early in the season. He gives hitters a different look from Veras, Hawkins, Farnsworth and Chamberlain because of his power sinker. has always been his biggest enemy. If he can harness his control, he is another young, power arm who will have input toward the Yankees hopes in 2008. If he can’t, he becomes trade bait because there are too many young, power arms in the organization. If he doesn’t perform well this year, chances are he will be passed by other guys in the next year. Simply put, 2008 is a make or break year for Ross Ohlendorf in the Yankees organization.

Juan Miranda: While we like to concentrate on pitching (and rightly so), Miranda is an intriguing guy to watch this season. While his defense won’t remind anybody of Donnie Baseball, the guy can flat out hit. Last year was the first time he played organized baseball in almost two years. By the end of the season, every time he made contact, he hit bullets. He will start the season in AAA. However, I think it’s safe to say Jason Giambi won’t hold up physically for a full season. If Miranda hits, it’s not inconceivable to see he and Shelley Duncan platooning at first base at some point in the season.

Mark Melancon: I have been high on Melancon since the first time I saw him pitch at The University of Arizona. Bases loaded, 0 outs against rival Arizona State and he struck out the side to get out of the jam. He was the most dominant college relief pitcher in the country in 2006, and he pitched most of that season with a sore arm. He is now 100 percent healthy, and is cleared to throw all of his pitches at the start of spring training. The plan is for him to start the season in Tampa and gradually make his way through the system as the weather gets warmer. I not only expect him to be in New York after the All Star Break, I believe he will play an important role in the stretch run. He is that good. He has everything you look for in a relief pitcher: stuff, location, makeup, guts and a short memory.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:06 am

Red Sox Showing Off Their Prospects

http://mvn.com/milb-yankees/

After two emails and a post from Peter Abraham, I guess the demand is out there for me to shed some light on this subject. The Red Sox are doing their annual “bring the top prospects to Boston to work out, meet the manager, attend a couple of show-seminars, and show off to the media” thing right about now.

Both emails and Abraham ask: Why don’t the Yankees do the same thing? Well, the truth is that they do. The entire national Red Sox organization is centered around Boston. That is the logical place for Sox prospects to do their winter work outs. The Yankees, on the other hand, are centered around their complex in Tampa. Yankee prospects have year-round facilities and coaching staffs available to them. For example, it has been widely reported by Phil Hughes is down there getting into shape early. He’s not alone. The Yankees do their how-to-not-sound-dumb-with-the-media thing too, and I’m sure they give them a motivational speech every once in awhile. They just do it away from the bright lights, where real gains can be made.

The Yankees, between the D.R. and Tampa, provide their prospects top-notch coaching, and infrastructure.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:07 am

Chad Jennings Interviews Mark Newman

http://mvn.com/milb-yankees/

Excellent job by Chad Jennings right here. I suggest reading the whole thing. The bullet points:

* P.J. Pilittere will start the season at Triple-A
* Scranton, “may see [Cervelli] by the end of the year.”
* The Yankees see McCutchen as a very good reliever, but he’ll remain in the rotation for now.
* Heath Phillips will be converted to the bullpen. My guess is that he’ll compete with Wright, Henn and Igawa for the lefty role out of the bullpen, but Mark Newman seems to prefer Phillips in a relief role.
* Whelan may or may not start the season at Triple-A, depending on his camp.
* Cox won’t start the season at Triple-A
* Bronson Sardinha is gone for good.

Interesting stuff.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:22 am

Wang has a blog it's Taiwanese
http://www.cmwang.com.tw/blog_20071231.php

http://www.cmwang.com.tw/images/1231.jpg

Pinch hitting: Our own SJ44

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/01/18/pinch-hitting-our-own-sj44/#comments
He doesn’t have his own blog but SJ44 has been a loyal and prolific poster on this blog for a long time. A businessman from Florida, Joe keeps close track of the prospects and has had a chance to meet several people in the organization. Because of his knowledge of the prospects, I invited him to give some thoughts:

We have now entered what I like to call, Prospect Season.

Prospect Season consists of various perspectives from people who follow minor league player development. With the Yankees, this has become a growing passion due to the fact we actually have prospects again! So much so, there are people in baseball who now feel the Yankees have one of the three or four best farm systems in the game. A FAR cry from 2004 when the consensus was the Yankees had the worst farm system in baseball.

One of the problems I encounter with these lists are they often fail to inform fans whether or not the listed players can actually help the parent club in 2008. Let’s face it, that’s what most fans want to know when it comes to prospects.

To that end, I have compiled a list featuring the four players who can impact the Yankees this season. I did not include Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy on the list. Mainly because, in my mind, they are no longer prospects. They are young players with an expected role on the team. My list features guys some fans may not think about when it comes to players who can help the Yankees win in 2008.

So, here goes:

Jose Veras: In my mind, he is the one guy whose success (or lack of success) can lead to a domino effect on the Yankees this season. If he is successful, Joba becomes a full-time starter faster, bullpen roles become more defined and the Yankees have another young, power arm in front of Mariano. If he is not successful, Joba may stay in the bullpen, guys like LaTroy Hawkins and/or Kyle Farnsworth will have to take on bigger roles (not what the Yankees want) and they may have to go outside the organization (and part with a player or two they don’t want to lose) to strengthen the bullpen. Does that put a lot of pressure on Veras? Perhaps but, he is showing that he may be up to the task. He is coming off a dominant Winter League season. His fastball was consistently clocked in the mid-90’s and the bite returned to his slider. More importantly, his control was outstanding. If Veras’ performance from the winter carries over to spring training, he is not only going to make the team, he will have a key role in the bullpen. Mariano Rivera once told me he thought Veras had the most potential of any of the younger guys they have tried in the bullpen. This spring, we will see if he is correct.

Ross Ohlendorf: Here is another young, power arm whose success can make life easier for the Yankees. Unlike Veras, who could develop into an 8th inning guy, Ohlendorf is a guy who can pitch two innings at a time, something the Yankee bullpen may need early in the season. He gives hitters a different look from Veras, Hawkins, Farnsworth and Chamberlain because of his power sinker. has always been his biggest enemy. If he can harness his control, he is another young, power arm who will have input toward the Yankees hopes in 2008. If he can’t, he becomes trade bait because there are too many young, power arms in the organization. If he doesn’t perform well this year, chances are he will be passed by other guys in the next year. Simply put, 2008 is a make or break year for Ross Ohlendorf in the Yankees organization.

Juan Miranda: While we like to concentrate on pitching (and rightly so), Miranda is an intriguing guy to watch this season. While his defense won’t remind anybody of Donnie Baseball, the guy can flat out hit. Last year was the first time he played organized baseball in almost two years. By the end of the season, every time he made contact, he hit bullets. He will start the season in AAA. However, I think it’s safe to say Jason Giambi won’t hold up physically for a full season. If Miranda hits, it’s not inconceivable to see he and Shelley Duncan platooning at first base at some point in the season.

Mark Melancon: I have been high on Melancon since the first time I saw him pitch at The University of Arizona. Bases loaded, 0 outs against rival Arizona State and he struck out the side to get out of the jam. He was the most dominant college relief pitcher in the country in 2006, and he pitched most of that season with a sore arm. He is now 100 percent healthy, and is cleared to throw all of his pitches at the start of spring training. The plan is for him to start the season in Tampa and gradually make his way through the system as the weather gets warmer. I not only expect him to be in New York after the All Star Break, I believe he will play an important role in the stretch run. He is that good. He has everything you look for in a relief pitcher: stuff, location, makeup, guts and a short memory

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 am

Pack CBs secondary to none
by Rob Reischel

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/01/pack_cbs_secondary_to_none.html

Friday January 18, 2008, 6:00 AM

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Charles Woodson entered the NFL with a Heisman Trophy. He was the fourth overall pick in the 1998 Draft, signed a multimillion dollar contract at 21 and rapidly established himself as one of football's elite corners.

Al Harris' route was far rockier. A sixth-round choice by Tampa Bay the same year, Harris was released twice and spent his career as a reserve before being traded to Green Bay in 2003.

Although their roads were drastically different, the results have been awfully similar for Woodson and Harris -- especially this season, in which the Packers have arguably the best cornerback tandem in football.

In the NFC Championship Game on Sunday, Giants receivers Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer will try their luck against Harris and Woodson. And that matchup will go a long way toward determining who represents the NFC in Super Bowl XLII.

"For my money, they're the best pair in football," Packers cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington said. "There's no other pair I'd rather have."

It's easy to see why. The Packers' scheme is predicated on their corners being able to excel in bump-and-run coverage that disrupts the timing of passing games.

Each player is extremely physical at the line of scrimmage and uses every inch of the 5 yards where contact is legal. Neither has great speed, but both still run well enough to frustrate opponents all over the field.

"Well, not a lot of people do it, but it's something that I've always believed in," Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said of his scheme. "I was part of the staff in Kansas City and we used to practice against those guys every single day and any time you can disrupt the offense's timing and rhythm in the passing game, that's definitely playing to the advantage of the defense."

Harris was named to his first Pro Bowl this season, and Woodson -- a Pro Bowler from the 1998 through 2001 seasons -- was the first alternate.

While Harris was named to his first Pro Bowl, Woodson -- a Pro Bowler from 1998 through 2001 and first alternate this year -- might have had the better season. Woodson may have lost a step from his Heisman days at Michigan, but his ball skills and instincts rank with any corner in football.

Woodson is given the freedom to freelance within the scheme and he's taken full advantage. Woodson had four interceptions this season and has 12 during his two years in Green Bay.

Interestingly, Green Bay was the last place Woodson wanted to be after becoming a free agent after the 2005 season. Woodson was coming off a broken leg in Oakland, and when no when else made him an offer, he eventually signed a seven-year, $52 million deal with Green Bay.

"I was trying my best to either get to Jacksonville or Tampa Bay," Woodson said. "And every time I talked to my agent, when I'm asking about all these other teams, he's saying, 'Well they haven't said anything, but Green Bay called again, so what do you want to do?' And it was almost like this is where I had to play."

Harris was thrilled to get the opportunity to play in Green Bay when the Packers dealt a second-round draft pick to Philadelphia for him in 2003. A career backup, he has slowly proven he's one of the league's better corners.

Harris' greatest attribute is his physical style. Harris (6-1, 188) has pipe cleaners for arms, but has surprising strength and disrupts receivers all game.

"To be honest with you, I haven't seen one corner since I've been around as physical as Al Harris," said Washington, who played 15 seasons and has coached in Green Bay the last nine years.

The Giants got a firsthand look at that in Week 2 and didn't have a whole lot of answers.

Burress beat Harris for a 26-yard touchdown. But Harris later threw Burress to the ground and the wideout suffered a torn tendon in his thumb and another in his ankle. Toomer had a 40-yard reception that day. Combined, though, the Giants' tandem finished with just four catches for 80 yards.

If the Giants hope to pull off a third straight road upset Sunday, that duo will have to come up bigger than that.

"They play differently than most cornerbacks," Toomer said. "They are the macho, showdown type, I'm-going-to-beat-you type of players. They're standing right in front of you, they're not going anywhere, they're not backing off."
See more in Newspaper article

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 am

Packers players throw out some 'dirty' words
by Mike Garafolo
Friday January 18, 2008, 6:00 AM

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/01/packers_players_throw_out_some.html

NOTEBOOK

Shaun O'Hara knew the best way to diffuse the talk about being a dirty player: Humor.

"I try to shower daily and use deodorant," the Giants' center joked yesterday. "And every once in a while, I'll even throw in some conditioner."

Except "dirty" has nothing to do with O'Hara's hygiene. It's all about the way he plays on the field. Or, at least, for one play back in September.

Late in the Week 2 loss to the Packers, O'Hara allegedly gave DE Aaron Kampman a forearm to the back of the head after a play. The two then got into a wrestling match and Kampman griped to the media afterward, saying, "I had a player that did something real dirty to me. This was stuff that he shouldn't be doing and he won't do it again."

All of this ill-will resurfaced yesterday when the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel published a story quoting several Packers players talking about the Giants' dirty tactics. O'Hara, who rarely engages in after-the-whistle shoves, tried to play dumb on the issue of Kampman's claims against him.

"I'm not really sure off the top of my head what the reference is," he said, "but if there's no flag, there's no foul."

When told Kampman said he was struck in the head, O'Hara replied, "He must have tripped."

The truth is, every team engages in a little bit of post-whistle activity. During the Giants' win over the Cowboys on Sunday, there were plenty of shoving matches, and Giants LB Antonio Pierce even took a swing at one player who had pushed him after the play.

"We walk around here with legends all the time: Carl Banks, Harry Carson, all those guys show up around here and that's how they played for years," Pierce said. "So maybe it's just in the Giant blue colors to play that way."

CB Sam Madison practiced yesterday for the first time since suffering an abdominal injury against the Patriots in Week 17. Someone who was at practice said Madison took only a few reps, ran gingerly and "was basically going through the motions" so he didn't reinjure himself.

The person, who requested anonymity because the team isn't supposed to speak about practices, which are closed to the media, said the 11th-year veteran needs "rest more than reps" and will be a game-time decision on Sunday.

Madison, who has never been on a team that reached the conference championship game, said potentially missing the game "hurts, but it's part of it."

One player who won't miss the game is RT Kareem McKenzie (ankle), who practiced fully yesterday. WR Plaxico Burress (ankle) and CB Aaron Ross were limited, though coach Tom Coughlin said Ross "took more" reps than he did on Wednesday. CB Kevin Dockery (hip) did not practice and won't play.

Like Kampman, Giants rookie WR Steve Smith is also looking for some revenge for a big hit -- only he knows the one he took was legal.

Smith broke his scapula in September when he was hit by Green Bay CB Jarrett Bush and S Atari Bigby. Smith, who missed the next 11 games while recovering from the shoulder injury and later a hamstring strain, singled out Bigby yesterday.

"Bigby is the one that got my shoulder, so I'll try to get up on him and get a nice
little crack-back (block) or something," Smith said. "Show him that I'm here, baby."

Smith said the hit was clean.

"It wasn't a cheap shot; it was a good hit," he said. "He got me. ... I'll be right there, right in his face. I'm not going to talk smack, but I'm going to let my play talk."

Smith, who has seven catches for 77 yards in the postseason, said he isn't bitter, just frustrated about the missed time.

"Exactly. They're the reason I was sitting out for six weeks until I hurt my hamstring," Smith said. "That's big; that's important to me -- to show what I can do."

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:44 am

http://www.cmwang.com.tw/

Here's the Taiwan version of Wang's site

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 am

I still don't see why Minnesota would deal him to the Yankees. Hughes is the best prospect that has been mentioned in any deal. We get that. But we also don't know if he's really on the table. The Yankees are having the same internal discussions that we're having about Fernando. Can you really afford to trade him with that kind of upside?

But it gets back to the same issue for me that it always has with the Yankees: what's in it for the Twins? Say they get Hughes (and the other marginal throw-ins). Let's even assume that he develops into the pitcher that some project he could be (Cy Young caliber). They are still behind the Tigers and Indians, at least, in their own division. And they've basically loaded the Yankees up for several years of playoff appearances. Does that really make sense for them?

Maybe it makes more sense than taking a package of a leadoff hitter/CF replacement for Hunter and 3 ML caliber starting pitchers. It would probably be a done deal if Guerra was a level closer already.

I look at it this way: If you HAD to trade all your prospects for any one player in the league, who would it be? When you consider our current needs at SP and the fact that we have maybe the best pitcher of this decade as a possibility, this is one of those instances where you bite the bullet and do what it takes. Santana is one of those once-in-a-lifetime talents that doesn't come along too often, and he's ours for the taking if all we do is pony up on prospects.

Now, I'd be VERY reluctant in giving up Gomez AND Fernando, but if trading only one is a viable option - my god you do it. At the same time, Minnesota knows they have us by the balls, so it's very likely that the former occurs, if we do indeed trade for him.

We have a bunch of picks in this upcoming draft. It would be tough to part with so many talented prospects.... it IS Johan Santana though. Look at what Boston gave up for Beckett.... and he isn't the same level pitcher as Johan (especially at the time of the trade).... and look at how that worked out for them.

I'd take the chance. I can undertand why people would be against it.... but at the same time, how often do you have the chance to fill you biggest need with the best player at his position while still in his prime?

Santana
Pedro
Maine
Perez
El Duque

Is easily the best rotation in the NL

Let's say, for example, a deal was announced later today that the Mets dealt Fernando, Humber, Mulvey and a lesser prospect for Santana, where the Mets insisted that if they were giving up FMart, they HAD to hold onto Gomez to salvage their OF depth. They told the Twins to take Gomez with Guerra included, or FMart with less quality players making up the rest of the deal.

My main sticking point in all of this is NOT giving up FMart. Any deal that doesn't involve him I will be happy to do. Gomez, Guerra, Mulvey and Humber = sign me up right now. But if the FMart/Humber/Mulvey/lesser prospect deal was to go through, I would be pissed at first about giving up FMart. But...I wouldn't be able to help the fact that we just got the best pitcher in baseball, and will most likely lock him up for at least the next 6-7 years. As much as I really believe FMart is gonna be a special player, prospects always carry that risk with them before they get to the majors, especially a player like Fernando who is still quite a ways from the majors.

Assuming FMart turns out a good career with a few All-Star game appearances, one of either Humber or Mulvey turn into a solid bullpen guy, and the lesser prospect doesn't make the bigs or is a career bench player, I would say that the Mets make out better in that deal. At the state that the team is in right now, Santana adds that one ingredient the Mets lack that can push them to World Series contenders, this year and beyond.

So, if FMart is included.......if Guerra and Gomez stay on the Mets then I would be OK with it. I would not do it with Gomez involved, Twins must choose one or the other. If Guerra is in the deal with FMart, add one more decent prospect or two

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:04 am

Green Bay has an outstanding group of defensive linemen, though it lacks the depth it enjoyed early in the season because Colin Cole (arm) and Johnny Jolly (shoulder) are on injured reserve. Left end Aaron Kampman will play in his second consecutive Pro Bowl after a 12-sack, 91-tackle season. He is a terrific pass rusher with a great feel for the game. A technician, Kampman has a high motor that never quits. Cullen Jenkins, a former starter at tackle, is a very strong edge run player. He had 1.5 sacks against the Seahawks, a half-sack more than he had in the regular season. Left tackle Ryan Pickett is a load inside, a powerful, strong player who is solid against the run and as an inside pass rusher. Corey Williams reads schemes and finds the ball quickly. Former starter Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is more effective as a situational pass rusher, as his 9.5 sacks demonstrate, and first-round draft choice Justin Harrell is a developing presence at defensive tackle.

The Packers’ secondary is very physical and aggressive. Veteran cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris play a lot of press coverage. Woodson is a four-time Pro Bowler who has good instincts and awareness. He moves inside in the sub defenses. Harris has played in 170 consecutive games (160 regular season, 10 postseason). He is a smart, savvy player who was named to his first Pro Bowl this season. Strong safety Atari Bigby had four of his team-high five interceptions in December, when he was the NFC Defensive Player of the Month. A big hitter, Bibgy is a much-improved player who is always alert for tipped balls. Nick Collins reads plays quickly and has good anticipation. The nickel back is rookie Tramon Williams while the dime back is former Giant Frank Walker.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:23 am

MLS SuperDraft 2008: Mock Draft

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080116&content_id=135569&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Buy Tickets!
UCLA's Chance Myers would stay out west if he is taken fourth overall by Galaxy.
UCLA's Chance Myers would stay out west if he is taken fourth overall by Galaxy. (Andy Mead/MLS)
Print this pagePrint this | E-mail this pageE-mail this

In advance of Friday's SuperDraft at the Baltimore Convention Center, pundits all around the MLS soccer world will take their opportunity to select their own mock draft ... and why should we at MLSnet.com be any different? What follows our view of who will go with what selection.

Remember: this is NOT official and is presented for entertainment value, only.

For the actual selections in this year's SuperDraft, don't forget to check back at MLSnet.com, beginning at 2 p.m. ET on Friday.

1. Kansas City Wizards: Patrick Nyarko (FW, Virginia Tech)
Kansas City traded away a veteran defender for the top pick overall. Nyarko is clearly a selection to reinforce their attack as Eddie Johnson appears on the brink of moving to Fulham of the English Premiership. ( Highlights)

2. FC Dallas: Eric Avila (MF, California-Santa Barbara)
FC Dallas doesn't have many urgent needs with the signing of Mexican international defender Duilio Davino, so taking a chance on a small but very creative midfielder with plenty of upside in Avila seems like a logical choice. ( Highlights)

3. Real Salt Lake: Julius James (DF, Connecticut)
With their choice of defenders on the board, RSL will probably tab James to fill in the hole left when Eddie Pope retired. James was considered the most MLS-ready player in the draft pool by many at the adidas MLS Player Combine. ( Highlights)

4. LA Galaxy: Chance Myers (DF, UCLA)
One of the most promising young prospects in the draft, Myers will add depth and some speed to a backline that was lacking both at times last season. ( Highlights)

5. Colorado Rapids: Jonathan Leathers (DF, Furman)
Colorado needs to add depth and youth to their defense and Leathers seems like he'd be a good fit. He might not be that big in a physical sense, but has a great work-rate and is able to play any position on the back line. ( Highlights)

6. Columbus Crew: Michael Videira (MF, Duke)
Although he missed the combine with an injury, Videira is thought of as another MLS-ready player who will add some midfield depth and insurance.

7. Chicago Fire: Josh Lambo (GK, U.S. U-17 national team)
Although he could slip to 12, Chicago should not risk Kansas City potentially nabbing the Generation adidas prospect at No. 11. Probably a year away from starting, Lambo will fit in between the posts for the Fire soon enough. ( Highlights)

8. FC Dallas: Rob Valentino (DF, South Florida)
FCD would still like to reinforce their backline and add depth and Valentino fits right in, especially considering his Generation adidas status.

9. Toronto FC: Andy Iro (DF, California-Santa Barbara)
TFC has many holes to fill, but the biggest are on the back line. Iro is physically gifted, a leader in the back and a seasoned collegian who can step in right away. ( Highlights)

10. Toronto FC: Andrew Jacobson (MF, California)
Jacobson, a versatile player, will add some depth to a midfield that could have used it last season. ( Highlights)

11. Kansas City Wizards: Dominic Cervi (GK, Tulsa)
After trading for the No. 1 pick to address a need at the offensive end, the Wizards could use this pick to take Cervi, whose stock shot up at the combine and who can become Hartman's successor in the K.C. net. ( Highlights)

12. Chicago Fire: Pat Phelan (MF, Wake Forest)
Phelan might be a bit of a reach in this spot, but the Fire could like his versatility and soccer brain. His speed is a question, but he makes up for it by thinking a step ahead, similar to another holding midfielder who suited up for the Fire. ( Highlights)

13. New England Revolution: Peter Lowry (MF, Santa Clara)
New England is known for spotting talent in the draft that others sometimes overlook. Lowry's talent is apparent to all, but circumstance has him dropping to the Revolution at No. 13 and they will not let him drop any further. ( Highlights)

14. Real Salt Lake: Brek Shea (MF, U.S. U-17 national team)
If Shea does slip this far in the draft, RSL head coach Jason Kreis will jump all over the left winger with plenty of upside. RSL can address more immediate defensive concerns with the 17th overall selection. ( Highlights)

• Draft Tracker >
• Full coverage >

ROUND 2

15. San Jose Earthquakes: Eric Brunner (DF, Ohio State)
Brunner is too good to leave on the board at this point. He can sure up the backline for the Earthquakes with Garcia, Cochrane and the others selected in the expansion draft.

16. New York Red Bulls: Julian Valentin (DF, Wake Forest)
Jeff Agoos, the Red Bulls technical director, knows you don't have to be the fastest defender if you have a head for the game, and Valentin -- a savvy colelge star -- definitely does. ( Highlights)

17. Real Salt Lake: Sean Franklin (DF, Cal State-Northridge)
RSL can address the need to add depth to its defense with a prospect in Franklin who has all the tools to succeed in MLS. ( Highlights)

18. New England Revolution: David Horst (DF, Old Dominion)
Horst adds some depth to the backline behind reigning MLS Defender of the Year Michael Parkhurst. A different type of player, he could give the Revs some extra options from time to time.

19. FC Dallas: Tony Beltran (DF, UCLA)
FCD will continue to add depth to the backline with an undersized, but capable outside back in Beltran who is a member of this year's Generation adidas class.

20. Columbus Crew: Alex Nimo (FW, U.S. U-17 national team)
Sigi Schmid won't pass up a young talent with Nimo's potential if he's still available here. It doesn't hurt that the Crew could use a little spark on the attacking end.

21. LA Galaxy: Ciaran O'Brien (MF, California-Santa Barbara)
LA would love to see Cervi drop to this pick, but assuming he's already off the board, they will go O'Brien, a Generation adidas player who doesn't count against the salary cap.

22. FC Dallas: Stephen King (MF, Maryland)
FCD at this point has few needs and can take a chance on a player that has some questions surrounding him. King has upside potential and can turn into a valuable utility player for the Hoops. ( Highlights)

23. Kansas City Wizards: Scott Campbell (MF, North Carolina)
A highly touted college player who might drop due to his non-Generation adidas status, Campbell is a fiesty player who will add depth and energy to the K.C. midfield.

24. D.C. United: David Roth (MF, Northwestern)
Another solid midfielder who might be the best player left in the draft at this point. D.C. needs to add some depth in a few areas, and David "Lee?" Roth is a good start.

25. Kansas City Wizards: Xavier Balc (FW, Ohio State)
A solid collegiate player who didn't help his cause at the Combine is someone K.C. could take a shot at. With faster forwards like Sealy, Nyarko and Arnaud, Balc could be the smart set-up man who can add depth to the K.C. attack.

26. Chicago Fire: Cesar Zambrano (MF, Illinois-Chicago) If the local prospect drops to the Fire here, they should jump at the chance to find an insurance policy for Blanco.

27. New England Revolution: Ryan Miller (DF, Notre Dame) Miller had a slightly sprained ankle at the Combine, but even with that didn't look out of place. He is a versatile player who can play outside back or midfield.

28. LA Galaxy: Shea Salinas (MF, Furman) Salinas got up and down the right side pretty well at the Combine and could add some depth to the Galaxy midfield.

This list is not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am

From what I've read and put my 2 cents into is that the Mets have the best offer out there. The Twins want Fernando Martinez added in and the deal would be done. The Mets are holding him out because they would only be bidding against themselves.

I think he'll be traded in the next week or 2..........I just hope the Yankees don't step it up.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:37 am

List of teams with the longest WS drought
KingofNYCEH1 Post #1: 10:59 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2211
MLB franchises with the longest current World Series crown drought Seasons Team Last championship 99 Chicago Cubs 1908 59 Cleveland Indians 1948 53 San Francisco Giants (New York Giants) 1954 47 Texas Rangers (Washington Senators) never (franchise started in 1961*) 46 Houston Astros (Houston Colt .45s) never (franchise started in 1962*) 39 Milwaukee Brewers (Seattle Pilots) never (franchise started in 1969*) 39 Washington Nationals (Montreal Expos) never (franchise started in 1969*) 39 San Diego Padres never (franchise started in 1969*) 31 Seattle Mariners never (franchise started in 1977*) 28 Pittsburgh Pirates 1979 27 Philadelphia Phillies 1980 24 Baltimore Orioles 1983 23 Detroit Tigers 1984 22 Kansas City Royals 1985 21 New York Mets 1986 19 Los Angeles Dodgers 1988 18 Oakland Athletics 1989 17 Cincinnati Reds 1990 16 Minnesota Twins 1991 15 Colorado Rockies never (franchise started in 1993*) 14 Toronto Blue Jays 1993 12 Atlanta Braves 1995 10 Tampa Bay Rays never (franchise started in 1998*) 7 New York Yankees 2000 6 Arizona Diamondbacks 2001 5 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 2002 4 Florida Marlins 2003 2 Chicago White Sox 2005 1 St. Louis Cardinals 2006 -- Boston Red Sox 2007
KingofNYCEH1 Post #2: 11:00 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2211
Wow, It's been seven seasons for the Yankees. Thats about 83 years in Yankee hater years.
durtymr.clean Post #3: 11:01 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 7651
Can the Cubs make it to that big 100 mark? This is historic. 100 years without a championship.
tygerphan4ever Post #4: 11:13 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 10033
Thanx for showing that...just goes to show ya' how overdue the time is for the Tigers to throttle everyone's asss... j/k partially
Janet_Garrison Post #5: 11:22 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 3155

Can the Cubs make it to that big 100 mark? This is historic. 100 years without a championship.

This year would be a good one to win it!
tony20sbestfan Post #6: 11:37 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 462

yeah and Milwaukee, San Diego and Washington are a year away from 40 winless seasons...ugh, man that would suck. A full generation without a title. Cubs--a lifetime without a championship. Yankees--a full 7 years, jeez.

I think one of the milennium winners (D-Backs, Angels, White Sox, Yankees, Red Sox) will win, Marlins don't stand a chance, so we'll exclude them for this year. I'd love to see SD, WSH, CHC, MIL or another drout-heavy team win one.
northcubsblue Post #7: 11:38 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 13770

Wow, It's been seven seasons for the Yankees. Thats about 83 years in Yankee hater years.

It's got to be hard on Yankees fans to see a couple of expansion teams ahead of them on that list, as well as the hated Red Sox, a NL team that only won 83 games, and a team that hadn't won in 88 years.
jimmy_the_ostrich Post #8: 11:44 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 4140
1 entire year without a title, us cardinals fans definitely suffer more than any other franchise in sports
WhiteSoxPride1 Post #9: 11:46 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 78
i always thought , before 04' season,it was funny that everbody was making a big deal about the red sox not winning since 1918 and here we were in chicago with 2 teams that had not won well Sox 1917 and Cubs still lokking for it, it will happen soon
tygerphan4ever Post #10: 12:04 pm Quote | Report Violation

i always thought , before 04' season,it was funny that everbody was making a big deal about the red sox not winning since 1918 and here we were in chicago with 2 teams that had not won well Sox 1917 and Cubs still lokking for it, it will happen soon

2 teams...1 city...91 years without...staggering

jjd002 Post #11: 12:19 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1227
I can also say that it has been over 60 years since the cubs last made the WS, let alone win one.... They also own that record too
WhiteSoxPride1 Post #12: 12:28 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 78
makes me appreciate the WS in 05' a truly historic sporting event even thou the White Sox are not that popular but yea it got to a point where people were starting to believe we would never see another WS champ in this city, i got to accept the fact and hope that my children would be able to see either team just win it once, baseball has truly changed in this city FOREVER!! lets go for another one in 08' No city should ever have to endure that type of drought
tygerphan4ever Post #13: 12:31 pm Quote | Report Violation
Chicago is unbelievably unfortunate when it comes to baseball championships,other than the WS in '05..nothing else in 91 yrs between 2 teams. I'm sorry,but that is simply in-credible.
mdelpri Post #14: 12:35 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 81
Only Cubby fans should have to go through the drought. I hope they never win, just so all the idoits in Wrigleyville can keep chanting next year, next year...

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:00 am

Rob Neyer's- Going to the extreme

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob
I've been lukewarm about Marvin Miller's Hall of Fame candidacy, which hasn't endeared me to my (usually) like-minded friends. It's not because Miller isn't a significant historical figure. It's because enshrining a labor leader would be establishing a new precedent, and I think you should think long and hard before doing it. It's also because I'm not 100 percent sure Miller ever had the game's best interests at heart. Maybe that's not fair and maybe it shouldn't even matter. But it does give me pause.

All that said, there's a lot to be said for a strong union. Which brings me to a couple of opposing views on the issue of performance-enhancing drugs. First, here's Mike Lowell on the prospect of blood tests for HGH:

World Series MVP Mike Lowell is willing to give blood if that's what it takes to be tested for human growth hormone. But only if the test is 100 percent accurate. Not 99 percent.

"If it's 99 percent accurate, that's going to be seven false positives," the Red Sox third baseman said Thursday before the annual dinner of the Boston chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. "Ninety-three percent is 70 guys. That's almost three whole rosters.

"You're destroying someone's reputation. What if one of the false positives is Cal Ripken? Doesn't it put a black mark on his career?"

And here's ex-pitcher/broadcaster Jim Kaat:

I have made my solution known to the current commissioner during a game I was doing for YES ... The first is that they can allow the players take anything and everything available to them to help their performance and, as a result, their team's performance, but make sure there is an understanding that there are health and legal issues if they are obtained without a prescription. The second solution is that the Union and administration should enter into an agreement whereby a player caught in the authorized testing program using illegal performance-enhancing drugs, will be banned for life from professional baseball. The illegal drugs should all be listed in clubhouses and training rooms, so players have full knowledge of what they are.

So Lowell's saying no test can be used unless it's "100 percent accurate," and Kaat's saying that if a test is used and a player doesn't pass, he should be "banned for life."

Don't both of these positions seem a bit extreme?

No test will be 100 percent accurate. Even if you devise the perfect test that works perfectly on every subject, there's still the possibility of tampering, of tainting, of various other ings. Just like our justice system, the best we can reasonably expect is nearly perfect. So for Lowell to argue for a perfect test is to argue for no test at all. Which makes it easy for him to conditionally volunteer his blood sample.

No test will be 100 percent accurate. So for Kaat to argue for lifetime bans for first offenders is to argue that complete innocents, some of them in their early 20s, should occasionally have their livelihoods stripped from them.

When there is a test for HGH -- and by the way, some reasonable people think it's not worth the trouble -- it won't be perfect, any more than tests for all the other stuff are perfect. Usually it'll work as designed, and that fact will serve as a significant deterrent to prospective users. Some won't be dissuaded, and some of them will get busted and suspended. But not forever, which is OK because almost everybody deserves a second chance. Somebody will get busted unfairly and suspended, also unfairly. That's not OK, but if there's a second chance at least the damage isn't permanent.

As many observers have pointed out, a number of congressmen earlier this week displayed what seemed to be almost a willful lack of knowledge about the relationship between union and management. The union (Lowell) prefer no rules whatsoever. Management (Kaat) prefers no limitations on its ability to make rules and enforce them. Fortunately, the dynamics of labor relations ensure that neither of these extreme positions will carry the day.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:08 am

New York Daily-News Missed It By THAT Much.

http://yankeesnmore.blogspot.com/

There is a new story out in the Daily-News this morning in which Joe Torre talks about what he didn't see in or around the Yankees when it comes to the issue of performance-enhancing drugs.

The headline for this story is, "Joe Torre Clueless On Steroid Use"

One has to wonder if the title wouldn't have been more accurate and descriptive of the man overall if they had just left off the last three words.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 am

Why the hell do we keep cutting good players

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=mlb&id=nyy&tid=2223247&lid=12

First of all, can anyone tell me who Washington gave us for Tyler Clippard?

Okay, now why would we cut Darrell Rasner, Bronson Sardhina and Andy Phillips? There are no good reasons for cutting them. We don't need their salary money and I thought Sardhina had potential to be a new permanant Catcher. Phillips could have been a great first baseman, but at least the Reds have given him a home. The Reds are going to be AMAZING soon, just look at those pitching prospects.

What's next? Melky Cabrera? Cabrera is on the Ricky Ledee path. Nowhere. Ledee's career was ruined when the Yanks released him. We also ruined Bobby Murcer's career if you want to look back that far. How incredibly sad to think that the Yankees actually ruined player's careers. Even Bernie Williams and Mo could have been treated much better. All I can say is they BETTER treat Joba properly.

Clippard was traded for Jonathan Albaladejo. As for Phillips, as much as fans liked him, we really don't need a half dozen people to play 1B.
Hiatus2704 Post #3: Jan 16, 6:24 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 163

A team has to create roster spots. You can't protect everyone.

Besides, Sardhina is an outfielder - not a catcher, Rasner is back with the team, Phillips has some upside and some value but the guy is 30 years old and hasn't disguished himself. He'll be most likely riding the bench in Cinci too.

Melky / Ledee?????

I see no basis for comparison. The Yankees have given Cabrera the starting CF job - at age what 22?

And how exactly did the Yankees ruin Bobby Murcer's career???
26_Rings Post #4: Jan 16, 6:37 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2487

Damian Rolls

Imagine what could have been...

<sigh>
ItsIanKennedy Post #5: Jan 16, 7:18 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 476
With the exception of Rasner who I like (and we brought back)... this is way more attention than Phillips, Clippard and Sardhinia deserve.

Phillips is Pedro Cerrano on breaking pitches, he's older than our other options at first, his glove isn't anything special and we have 1st base options already in Bettemit and Duncan who can play more than one position (and are every bit the offensive threats that Andy is).

So yea... I'm sure the front office is kicking themselves over this blunder.

and Clippard was never going to amount to anything on the Yankees or in the AL... he needs to be in an NL pitchers park where as a flyball pitcher he has a chance to actually succeed. Because lets face it Crater face's 89 mph heater with his underwhelming secondary stuff and control wasn't going to cut it in the Bronx.

Even Bernie Williams and Mo could have been treated much better. All I can say is they BETTER treat Joba properly.

Oh yea poor Mo... 37 years old coming off his worst career season and he's making more than any other closer in baseball. The Panama Jacka/ss got the money and years he held Cashman up for, he has no right to complain.... and Bernie Williams was DONE being a productive member of this outfield and team by the time we parted ways with him. The thought of him hobbling around in Centerfield one more season was enough to make me want to throw up in my mouth, everytime it was suggested. I love you Bernie and appreciate all you did for us... but it was time to go, no hard feelings but this is a business not a charity.

Good luck with your music career... see you on Bernie Williams day.
tony20sbestfan Post #6: 11:58 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 462

Besides, Sardhina is an outfielder - not a catcher, Rasner is back with the team, Phillips has some upside and some value but the guy is 30 years old and hasn't disguished himself. He'll be most likely riding the bench in Cinci too.

Melky / Ledee?????

I see no basis for comparison. The Yankees have given Cabrera the starting CF job - at age what 22?

Bronson had a catcher's glove in his locker.

Murcer's career was ruined because the Yankees couldn't figure out whether they wanted him or not, so they kept releasing him and resigning him.

About Melky...they kept saying he'd be traded.
NOW: Mariano, you think he was treated amazing? they kept threatening his contract? Why? He is the best closer ever, case closed. And Bernie, same thing, they kept screwing with him, I hate that. They can dedicate the new stadium to him, they still messed with him.
GreenBeret7 Post #7: 12:12 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2368

Melky / Ledee?????

Murcer's career was ruined because the Yankees couldn't figure out whether they wanted him or not, so they kept releasing him and resigning him.

NOW: Mariano, you think he was treated amazing? they kept threatening his contract? Why? He is the best closer ever, case closed. And Bernie, same thing, they kept screwing with him, I hate that. They can dedicate the new stadium to him, they still messed with him.

What the Hell are you talking about? The Yankees didn't keep releasing Murcer. He was traded once by the Yanks for Bobby Bonds. Bobby Bonds was traded for Mickey Rivers and Ed Figueroa...two guys that helped the yanks win 3 AL titles and 2 WS titles. The only time he was released was in '83 when he was 37 years old .
mortuwary Post #8: 12:22 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 693

Phillips is Pedro Cerrano on breaking pitches, he's older than our other options at first, his glove isn't anything special and we have 1st base options already in Bettemit and Duncan who can play more than one position (and are every bit the offensive threats that Andy is).

I'm no Phillips-supporter, but Andy came up as a 2B/3B in the minors. Couple that with the fact the he learned 1B late in his minor league career and that's one less IF position than Betemit (plays all 4) and one more than Duncan (1B/3B). Not exactly sure what your point was in bringing up the utility factor there...

Rick2583 Post #9: 12:38 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 4822

Melky / Ledee?????

What the Hell are you talking about? The Yankees didn't keep releasing Murcer. He was traded once by the Yanks for Bobby Bonds. Bobby Bonds was traded for Mickey Rivers and Ed Figueroa...two guys that helped the yanks win 3 AL titles and 2 WS titles. The only time he was released was in '83 when he was 37 years old .

Thank you Yank. You stole my response. The OP obviously didn't do much research before posting. To the OP, here's a tip.............Think first...............Then post.
highwyre237 Post #10: 12:45 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 414

I always liked Andy, but he just didnt have the bat to play 1B for us IMO. He played the majority of the time in 2006, and played alright, but was nothing special.

Yes, He's a 1B/3B and can play 2B, but I doubt he'd be strong enough defensively to handle it. I always felt he could start or atleast be a more permeate platoon player on a lesser team, and to be honest, I'm happy for him that he'll have the chance to play a bit more often.

Given a full season I'd say he'd hit 275, 15 2B 4 3B 10 HR 60 R 60 RBI.

Nothing great, but good enough to play more often somewhere else. We have plenty of depth at 1B, we dont need him.
Mike.D30 Post #11: 12:46 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1140

First of all, can anyone tell me who Washington gave us for Tyler Clippard?

Okay, now why would we cut Darrell Rasner, Bronson Sardhina and Andy Phillips? There are no good reasons for cutting them. We don't need their salary money and I thought Sardhina had potential to be a new permanant Catcher. Phillips could have been a great first baseman, but at least the Reds have given him a home. The Reds are going to be AMAZING soon, just look at those pitching prospects.

What's next? Melky Cabrera? Cabrera is on the Ricky Ledee path. Nowhere. Ledee's career was ruined when the Yanks released him. We also ruined Bobby Murcer's career if you want to look back that far. How incredibly sad to think that the Yankees actually ruined player's careers. Even Bernie Williams and Mo could have been treated much better. All I can say is they BETTER treat Joba properly.

Phillips is in his 30's if he were ever going to be an "amazing" first baseman he would be one by now.

Clippard is pretty awful I doubt you will ever miss having the Cliptard on your team.

As for Bernie being treated badly all I can is the guy was paid so much money for very little production the final years of his contract, THEN the Yankees gave him a fairwell tour and even paid him a couple mil. It became obvious Bernie wanted to keep getting millions and years even though he knew the team had no use for him, he should've just retired gracefully he was done with the game.

Mo is old as dirt coming off his worst year ever and making about 4 mil more per year than any other closer in baseball. Yeah he was treated terribly...
highwyre237 Post #12: 12:50 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 414
the Bernie situation kindof stung when it happened, and I wish we could have found a roster spot for him, or that he would have been happy with starting out in the minors, but I think in a few years all will be fine. I hope we'll see him in a few old timer games in the near future.
Black_Angel_ Post #13: 1:15 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 235
I don't get all the clippard bashers and the notion that he could never pitch in the AL, that he has to be NL and has to be a pticher's park. I agree with trading him wholeheartedly because he was blocked and would be for years. I thin for the nationals he'll be a 4 or a 5 next year, but truthfully he would be in the minors for most teams in baseball. I think even worse than the clipp bashers are the albadejo bashers, maybe do some research, huh? Like the op, Ive been seeing ppl like him sprout out since the deal got done. Like it would kill them to actually look at what we got back rather than assume he's trash. Put it to u this way. If clippard turns into a legitamate #3 starter while albadejo simply lives up to everything he's done so far in the minors and majors, we'll still have gotten the better of the deal.

Forum Home MLB Baseball New York YankeesWhy the hell do we keep cutting good player

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:19 am

After this match , What's The next event are you promoting Mr.King?

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:32 am

Are you going to watch Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao match Mr.King?

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 am

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18900

scott (boston): Hi Keith- thanks for answering this, Crasnick was on the other day claiming 7 of 9 scouts all prefer Joba over Clay, I know you are a Clay guy, What do you think is the determining factor that puts him slightly ahead of Joba in your book? To me it is his secondary pitches which are already top of the rotation worhty. You?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:35 PM ET ) I'd rank Joba ahead of Buchholz. Four pitch guy who can hold his velo for 100 pitches versus three-pitch guy who doesn't have the big fastball ... It's really, really close, but I'd take Joba

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 am

Scouting Yankees Prospect #12: Jeff Marquez Premium Story

http://yankees.scout.com/a.z?s=303&p=2&c=720425&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fyankees.scout.com%2f2%2f720425.html

By Patrick Teale
Publisher
Date: Jan 15, 2008

The New York Yankees drafted Jeff Marquez in the supplemental first round of the 2004 MLB Draft out of Sacramento City College. Having his best year yet in his career, going 15-9 with a 3.65 ERA and tying for second with Andy Pettitte for most wins in the organization last season, he was added to the 40-man roster this offseason and he is now knocking on the door to the big leagues.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Betemit signs one-year deal

January

The Yankees signed Wilson Betemit to a one-year deal today, avoiding arbitration. That leaves Brian Bruney, Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang.

Today is the day the teams and agents exchange salary numbers. Hearings starts on Feb. 1. The Yankees will likely have everybody signed by then.

UPDATE: Betemit received $1.165 million, a nice raise from the $405,000 he made last season.

8 Responses to “Betemit signs one-year deal”

1. jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 18th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

How much did he get?
2. mel January 18th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for the update. Hope Wilson has a good year. We need good infield support this year.
3. Jaewon January 18th, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Yay! Betemit!

Ideas from last thread:

*Interleague Play record
*Number of Walkoff wins
*Number of how many times bullpen makes fun of ARod on a homerun doing the arm thingy
*Number of strippers ARod is caught with.
4. Bill from NJ January 18th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

He got $1,165,000
5. i miss bernie January 18th, 2008 at 3:36 pm

who throws out the 1st pitch opening day?
(super bowl mvp osi umenyiora!)
6. jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 18th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Eli Manning.
7. Bill from NJ January 18th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

GMEN!!

Favre will go back to his usually self and throw 4 INTs. Book it!
8. saucy January 18th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

“who throws out the 1st pitch opening day?”

Guiseppe Franco

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:59 pm

More on Morneau… [UPDATE]and Rincon signs
http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=306#comments

Twins first baseman Justin Morneau has agreed to a one-year deal worth $7.4 million to avoid arbitration, but it doesn’t mean that the club won’t look into locking up their former MVP to a multi-year deal in the near future.

There have been indications during the offseason that the Twins would discuss long-term deals with Morneau and Michael Cuddyer once the Johan Santana situation was settled. Santana, as everyone is aware, is still being discussed in trades.

Joe and I have checked on Morneau’s situation throughout the offseason. We both were told that the Twins hadn’t approached Morneau’s camp about an extended contract yet. Mark Pieper, Morneau’s agent, wrote in an e-mail on Friday that he was, “not sure about the Twins plans on a multi-year deal yet.'’

Morneau, 26, made $4.5 million last season.

Signing Morneau to a one-year deal doesn’t mean they can’t tear up the contract for a long-term deal. They did that exact thing a few years ago with Corey Koskie.

As of now, the Twins are headed to arbitration with Cuddyer, Matt Guerrier. They agreed to a $1.3 million deal with Jason Kubel on Thursday

[UPDATE]: The Twins have made it official on Kubel, Morneau…and Juan Rincon. The righthander has agreed to a one-year, $2.475 million deal to avoid arbitraton.

Rincon currently is closing for Lara during the winter league playoffs, and spent the early part of the offseason working out with Detroit masher Miguel Cabrera. He plans to work out with the same trainer right before heading to camp.

This may make you cringe but the Twins need Rincon. He should be motivated after posting a 5.13 ERA in 63 games last season. And they’ll need bullpen arms around in case Joe Nathan is dealt after Santana is dealt.

Yes, I think Santana will be dealt before camp opens. I have a trade thought involving the Mets that I’ll share with you over the weekend.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm

How do you stop Greg Jennings if you were Giants? Press Coverage or Man to Man?

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Callahan set to coach Jets' offensive line, running game

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3203231

The New York Jets reached agreement Friday afternoon with former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan to be the assistant head coach and be in charge of the running offense.

Callahan was under consideration in Tampa Bay for a job but talks between the Jets and Callahan heated up over the past several days. Brian Schottenheimer remains the offensive coordinator, but Callahan was brought in to coach the offense line and work with the running game.

The former head coach of the Oakland Raiders is considered a West Coast offense specialist but is also one of the better offensive line coaches in the league. Tony Wise has been the offensive line coach but he is expected to be coaching elsewhere next season.

Schottenheimer is under consideration for the head coaching job in Baltimore and there is a chance he could have a second injury.

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next