Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/superbowl/Parcells_praises

Go down

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/superbowl/Parcells_praises Empty http://www.northjersey.com/sports/superbowl/Parcells_praises

Post  RedMagma Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 am

Parcells proud of his ex-assistants

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/superbowl/Parcells_praises_ex-Tuna_helpers.html

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
BY VINNY DITRANI
STAFF WRITER
Comment on this story Email this story Printer friendly version

Bill Parcells was about as far away from the frozen tundra as you can get Sunday night, watching the second half of his coaching tree lock up a spot in Super Bowl XLII.

"It was great theater," the Miami Dolphins' director of football operations said of the Giants' 23-20 overtime NFC title win in Green Bay. "It was one of those games that will be remembered for a long, long time."

The pulsating victory under the toughest of conditions sent Giants head coach Tom Coughlin into the big game against another former Parcells aide, Bill Belichick and his undefeated New England Patriots. The game reminded Parcells of his 1990 team's upset win over San Francisco via Matt Bahr's final-play field goal in the NFC Championship Game leading up to Super Bowl XXV.

Belichick was the defensive coordinator while Coughlin coached the wide receivers on that Giants team.

"It makes me feel proud," Parcells said of the matchup of his former assistant coaches. "I don't think you should be penalized for hiring good assistants. People say no wonder he did so well, look at the assistant coaches he had. Well, what's wrong with hiring good ones?"

Following Super Bowl XXV the three coaches went their separate ways. Coughlin took off for Boston College and Belichick went to the Cleveland Browns as head coaches, while Parcells resigned his position. Parcells and Belichick hooked up again in New England and with the Jets.

"But it's been a long time since I worked with them," Parcells said. "They both have gone on and established themselves on their own merit."

However, Parcells hopes the two got a little bit of what makes them successful from their time with him. "Who knows?" he said. "But I didn't get all my stuff on my own."

Having coached both franchises and worked with both coaches, Parcells is not taking sides in this Super Bowl battle.

"I have family on one team," he said, referring to his son-in-law, Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli. "And I have strong sentiment for the other team. I talk more with Bill than I do with Tom, but I wish them both the best."

As far as the Giants' chances of pulling an upset, he said, "There is a way to win all of these games. I went into a Super Bowl against one of those [heavily favored] teams, and we won. It can happen."

The Buffalo Bills were favored by a touchdown-plus entering Super Bowl XXV in Tampa. But the Giants prevailed when Scott Norwood was wide right with a 47-yard field goal attempt -- the same distance as the one Lawrence Tynes made to lift the Giants over the Packers on Sunday night.

E-mail: ditrani@northjersey.com

Bill Parcells was about as far away from the frozen tundra as you can get Sunday night, watching the second half of his coaching tree lock up a spot in Super Bowl XLII.

"It was great theater," the Miami Dolphins' director of football operations said of the Giants' 23-20 overtime NFC title win in Green Bay. "It was one of those games that will be remembered for a long, long time."

The pulsating victory under the toughest of conditions sent Giants head coach Tom Coughlin into the big game against another former Parcells aide, Bill Belichick and his undefeated New England Patriots. The game reminded Parcells of his 1990 team's upset win over San Francisco via Matt Bahr's final-play field goal in the NFC Championship Game leading up to Super Bowl XXV.

Belichick was the defensive coordinator while Coughlin coached the wide receivers on that Giants team.

"It makes me feel proud," Parcells said of the matchup of his former assistant coaches. "I don't think you should be penalized for hiring good assistants. People say no wonder he did so well, look at the assistant coaches he had. Well, what's wrong with hiring good ones?"

Following Super Bowl XXV the three coaches went their separate ways. Coughlin took off for Boston College and Belichick went to the Cleveland Browns as head coaches, while Parcells resigned his position. Parcells and Belichick hooked up again in New England and with the Jets.

"But it's been a long time since I worked with them," Parcells said. "They both have gone on and established themselves on their own merit."

However, Parcells hopes the two got a little bit of what makes them successful from their time with him. "Who knows?" he said. "But I didn't get all my stuff on my own."

Having coached both franchises and worked with both coaches, Parcells is not taking sides in this Super Bowl battle.

"I have family on one team," he said, referring to his son-in-law, Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli. "And I have strong sentiment for the other team. I talk more with Bill than I do with Tom, but I wish them both the best."

As far as the Giants' chances of pulling an upset, he said, "There is a way to win all of these games. I went into a Super Bowl against one of those [heavily favored] teams, and we won. It can happen."

The Buffalo Bills were favored by a touchdown-plus entering Super Bowl XXV in Tampa. But the Giants prevailed when Scott Norwood was wide right with a 47-yard field goal attempt -- the same distance as the one Lawrence Tynes made to lift the Giants over the Packers on Sunday night.

E-mail: ditrani@northjersey.com

RedMagma

Back to top Go down