Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP Empty Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:44 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/02/2008-01-02_taxpayers_will_fund_yankees_vip_parking_.html

Nooooooooo if want cheap parking you take the 149 bridge to Manhattan pay 10 for the day it it about a ten min walk. If you are walk go to the deli get a beer for 2 dollars drink it before you reach the ballpark that it. If you try to find parking in the Bronx it would take you a hour to find it. So from a Manhattan guy this is the best way to find parking in upper Harlem the parking lot are much cheaper.

IS LUPICA USING A PEN NAME?

SayWhat Jan 2, 2008 10:27:54 AM Report Offensive Post
The Yankee organization sure doesn't lose any sleep over this. Why should I. I don't go to the games anymore anyway. I used to go all the time when I lived in the Bronx. Those were the days. Easy ride there, easy to park, ate a lot of hot dogs and cracker jacks, bought souvenirs, got bats, ***** and hats on those special giveaway days and totally enjoyed myself.

SayWhat Jan 2, 2008 10:29:23 AM Report Offensive Post
O M G! I said "b a l l s" as in BASEBALLS and the Daily News outed that? Hahaha. What jerks.

tkfaclark Jan 2, 2008 10:40:02 AM Report Offensive Post
Wake up those of you who bleed Yankee Blue. How much more proof do you need that the Yankees don't care an iota about you or I, or anyone unless they have very deep pockets. And no, I'm not saying it's any different with the Mutts or any other MLB franchise. Wasn't it Marie Antoinette who said "Let them eat Cake" I know where my money won't be going any time soon!

marceloalexi Jan 2, 2008 10:45:19 AM Report Offensive Post
hear ye, hear ye!! I spent my childhood in the Bronx and have been a loyal Yankee fan ever since. That is the ONLY reason that I have remained a Yankee fan. But I think I'm old enough now to say "***** Steinbrenner". First of all he has always treated the local area with contempt. Not even sponsoring a Little League for the many kids in that area that love the Yanks and baseball. Not even a picnic, nothing in all the years and money that team has aquired. Then he does one better and takes the only park big enough for baseball in the area for his beloved new ballpark, leaving the area with no closeby option for a park. Now I find out that we (the taxpayers) are paying for this ****. I'm done. I'll be going to Shea or citifield. I'm done supporting this monster. The Yanks are no longer NY. It is a tourist trap just like times sq. Why don't the city charge Jersey and/or Westchester county. The Yanks are no longer NYC. the citiy's real team is now the Mets!!! Go Mets!!!

trackmac77 Jan 2, 2008 11:15:10 AM Report Offensive Post
Not like I'm going to be paying $29 (with it possibly going UP?!) dollars to park at (or maybe NEAR) the Stadium, but there you go fans- enjoy paying the ever-rising costs for the priviledge of going to see a baseball game. Isn't it a treat? Maybe the prices should be raised to the point of making attending a game truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience for just about everyone. Now I'm waiting for the follow-up article disclosing the prices over at the Mets new digs and see how they'll be rewarding their faithful.

drmagoo Jan 2, 2008 11:18:37 AM Report Offensive Post
i can understand 100 free spaces for employees but not 660

Bronx_Boxer Jan 2, 2008 11:35:26 AM Report Offensive Post
What happened to the days of cops taking NYPD vans to games? They are being paid $50-60 hrly and now free parking spaces too. What about the vendors? who make peanuts just like what they serve.

trackmac77 Jan 2, 2008 11:40:39 AM Report Offensive Post
What about Bloomberg and Pataki (and no, obviously they weren't coming up with this all on their own) boasting how they expected the city to receive more in revenue from the parking than taxes? Was anyone looking at the numbers here, or just hoping no one else would ever look? So besides the fans having to fork over the extortionary prices they're being charged, the tax payers get to foot the bill instead of the revenue that would have been generated by taxing or charging rent to the team.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP Empty Builders for lots, garages at new Yankee Stadium defaulted o

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:45 am

Builders for lots, garages at new Yankee Stadium defaulted on prior bonds

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/02/2008-01-02_builders_for_lots_garages_at_new_yankee_.html

Wednesday, January 2nd 2008, 4:00 AM

The group that received $237 million in city-sponsored bonds to build garages and parking lots at the new Yankee Stadium is hardly an all-star of public financing.

Bronx Parking Development LLC lists as its "sole member" the nonprofit group Community Initiatives Development Corp., which defaulted on two previous tax-exempt bonds in the past 10 years, records show.

The first default - on $7.7million in tax-exempt bonds issued in 2002 by the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency to finance a senior citizens home - was revealed by the Daily News in October.

The second default was not widely known. It involved $5.6 million in bonds the Monroe County Industrial Development Agency issued in 1998 for CIDC to build and own a parking lot. "Such bond financing was structured similarly to the structure of the bond financing described herein," notes the bond document for the Yankees' garages.

CIDC, the document states, "subsequently defaulted on payments on the bonds and also on payment in lieu of tax payments in connection [with the garage]" and "voluntarily transferred" its interest in the Monroe garage to the bondholders on Jan. 1, 2007.

CIDC operates out of the upstate Hudson home of its president, William Loewenstein. The group reported deficits of $260,000 in 2005 and $517,000 in 2004 on revenues of about $2 million annually, tax filings show.

Loewenstein defended the city's choice of his group for the Yankees' project. "The city has retained professionals to run the project," he said.

Although his company is the sole private member of the Bronx Parking Development LLC, he noted, CIDC will have only two votes on the five-member management group. City Hall will control two votes, and the Bronx borough president will control the fifth.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP Empty Re: Taxpayers will fund Yankees' VIP

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:50 am

The Yankees are paying $800 Million in their own pocket Mr.Gonzalez. How come you don't talk about Mets and their also they're building parking garage as well.? You don't have the Guts to Kill the Mets..Can you please write a column on Mets as well?

I can get you from Brooklyn to Yankee Stadium on two subway lines MAXIMUM no matter where in the subway-accessible realms of Brooklyn you are. Five subway lines is simply hyperbole.

And city, state and federal employees shouldn’t get parking privileges just because of their employer. If they choose to drive to work when other cost-efficient and environmentally-friendly options are available, they should have to pay the costs associated with that choice. All I said was that they “could” take the subway; I didn’t say they “should” take the subway.

Stop and think about things a little. The city gets all the money from the parking lot. If any city employees were to park there as part of their job, they would include any parking fees in their expense reports and get reimbursed. Charging them for parking would actually cost the city more, as they’d have to process more paperwork for expensive reports. Giving city employees free parking ends up with the same revenue, but less overhead for the city and less hassles for everyone involved.

And I’d certainly expect the team employees to get free parking. I wouldn’t expect them to give the city the rights to parking money without getting that.

You also seem to be rather back and forth on your stance on the subway. You feel it’s unreasonable for cops to drive instead of taking the subway, yet you act like it’s unreasonable for fans to be expected to take mass transit. The opposite should be true - you should be encouraging the 50,000 fans to take mass transit. If a cop feels he’s better off taking a car to work, I’m not complaining.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

IDA gives its okay for Yankees, Mets stadium deal
Real Estate Weekly, March 22, 2006

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3601/is_32_52/ai_n16120652

New York City Industrial Development Agency has granted preliminary approval for financing assistance for the New York Yankees and New York Mets to allow the teams to build new, state-of-the-art stadiums.

The projects, which will bring more than $1.5 billion in private investment to the South Bronx and Flushing Queens, relieve the City from having to pay maintenance and capital repair costs that would have exceeded rent payments by more than $113 million over the next 40 years for both stadiums. The teams, not the City, will be responsible for maintaining the new stadiums. The repayment structure for the tax-exempt bonds for both stadiums will be submitted to the City Council for approval.

IDA will also provide financing assistance to help a real estate developer build a retail complex parking garage in East Harlem and two not-for-profit organizations expand in Brooklyn and the Bronx. IDA is administered by the New York City Economic Development Corporation.

"The Yankees and Mets are tremendous assets of New York City and I'm pleased IDA will help them replace their deteriorating stadiums with new, state-of-the-art ballparks, bringing new jobs and private investment in areas of the City that really need both," said IDA chairman Andrew M. Alper. "Both projects are part of larger, area-wide revitalization plans--the Yankees in the South Bronx and the Mets in Flushing near Willets Point--that will help increase the economic vibrancy of the neighborhoods and create valuable jobs."

IDA will issue about $930 million in tax-exempt and taxable bonds to build the new stadium for the Yankees. Of that, $866 million is expected to be in tax-exempt bonds and $64 million in taxable bonds. The bonds will be repaid solely from payments made by the Yankees. The tax-exempt bonds will be payable from payments in lieu of taxes or PILOTs, a structure that will be submitted to the City Council for approval. The taxable bonds will be payable from rent payments made by the Yankees.

IDA also intends to use exemptions from real property tax, mortgage recording tax and sales tax in connection with the project. In addition to relieving the City of its obligation to pay substantial maintenance and capital repair costs, the new stadium is expected to generate about $96 million more per year in direct and indirect tax revenue than the City would have received from the team without it. The project will result in roughly 9,700 construction jobs and 900 permanent jobs.

For the new Mets stadium, IDA will issue about $632 million in tax-exempt and taxable bonds. It is expected that $528 million of that will be in tax-exempt bonds and $104 million will be in taxable bonds, both of which will be repaid in the same manner as with the Yankees--through PILOT payments (subject to City Council approval) and direct rent payments. IDA intends to use exemptions from real property tax, mortgage recording tax and sales tax in connection with the project. The new stadium, which will result in about 6,100 construction jobs and 970 permanent jobs, is expected to generate about $61 million more per year in direct and indirect tax revenue than the City would have received from the Mets without it.

The IDA board also approved financing assistance to help Tiago Holdings, a joint venture between Forest City Ratner Companies and Blumenfeld Development Group, to build a new parking garage for the planned East River Plaza, a five-level retail complex in East Harlem within the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone. IDA will issue about $40 million in tax-exempt Empowerment Zone Facility Bonds. The garage alone is expected to result in 24 new jobs. In total, the retail and garage portions are expected to cost about $320 million.

Wartburg Lutheran Home for the Aging and Wartburg Nursing Home, not-for-profit organizations that provide healthcare services to the elderly and disabled, was approved for about $20 million in tax-exempt bond financing and a mortgage recording tax benefit of $546,000. The organization plans to renovate its main building on Sheffield Avenue in Brooklyn to create a new 30-bed Medicaid assisted living section of the facility. Wartburg will also use the bonds to refinance existing debt for two existing nursing homes. The organization expects to add 15 new jobs to its existing workforce of 357 as a result of the project.

The College of Mount Saint Vincent, a not-for-profit college in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, was approved for $22 million in tax-exempt bond financing and a mortgage recording tax benefit of $615,000. The school, which plans to increase its enrollment, will use the financing assistance to expand and upgrade its facilities, including building a new residence hall and renovating two others. The school will be able to offer more financial aid packages and lower tuition costs, increasing enrollment, as a result of the project.

COPYRIGHT 2006 Hagedorn Publication
COPYRIGHT 2006 Gale Group

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:57 am

Two Stadiums. No Waiting.
Yanks and Mets plans leave little room for public debate
by Neil deMause
March 14th, 2006 11:27 AM

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0611,demause,72529,5.html

Following the Trail of the Torture Tapes
Nat Hentoff by Nat Hentoff
Lots of Local Pork in the Latest Defense Bill
by Graham Rayman
Port Authority Cop Faces Jail Time For Pranking His Own Department
by Sean Gardiner
Another of Rudy's Lovable Cronies Comes to His Defense
Runnin' Scared by Wayne Barrett
Visiting a Loved One in Rikers Can Be Punishment Too
by Graham Rayman
Eighties Prom Party
Rockie Horoscope
Rockie Weekly Horoscope by Rockie
2007 Year in Review: Part the Second
This Modern World by Tom Tomorrow
The Best and Worst of Cybersex 2007
Click Me by Bonnie Ruberg
Nat Hentoff: Following the Trail of the Torture Tapes (6)
Nat Hentoff: Nat Hentoff
Visiting a Loved One in Rikers Can Be Punishment Too (5)
Graham Rayman
Nat Hentoff: Confronting Joe McCarthy, Then and Now (4)
Nat Hentoff: Nat Hentoff
Savage Love: I'm a Female Cuckold! (3)
Savage Love: Dan Savage
More Landlords Are Booting Renters for Short-term Hotel Guests (3)
Maria Luisa Tucker
"Most Popular" tools brought to you by: Digital Jukebox
AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget
Superbowl
Compared with the long-running sagas of the West Side Jets stadium (born January 1999, died June 2005) and the Brooklyn Nets arena plan (unveiled December 2003, still not out of the starting blocks), Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to build new homes for the Mets and Yankees has whizzed by in a virtual blur. First announced during a whirlwind week last June as part of Bloomberg's last-ditch attempts to revive the city's flagging Olympic bid, the $1.8 billion twin-stadium plan is now scheduled to come up for a winner-take-all City Council vote on April 5.

Yet key details of the plans remain unresolved, leaving some neighborhood activists and good-government advocates wondering if the teams' rush to break ground is trampling on the need for open public debate. "The proposal to build a new Yankee Stadium is moving at warp speed, and nobody can get on this train," says Bettina Damiani of the subsidy-watch group Good Jobs New York. "The New York Stock Exchange subsidy deal didn't move this quickly; even some 9-11–related projects didn't move this quickly. It's disconcerting, to say the least, how quickly this project is moving, and at the same time completely excluding the input of local community members."

The Yankees plan, which would demolish the House That Ruth Built and build a new stadium across 161st Street to the north, leaped out to a quick start last summer. Just eight days after Bloomberg's stadium press conference, and before most Bronx residents had even learned the details of the plan, the state legislature moved to "alienate" Macombs Dam and Mullaly Parks, 21 acres of which would be obliterated to make way for the ballpark. Before this could happen, the city council had to sign off on a Home Rule message endorsing the legislature's land grab. This message, however, arrived in the council "preconsidered"—the city's version of the state legislature's infamous "messages of necessity" that allow lawmakers to dispense with debate.

As a result, there were no public hearings, and according to council minutes obtained by Good Jobs New York, councilmembers never even discussed the issue. Meanwhile, the council's finance division provided members with a "Fiscal Impact Statement" indicating "no impact on [city] expenditures resulting from the enactment of this legislation"—though by the city's own admission, it will be on the hook for more than $135 million in land and infrastructure costs. (Both a Good Jobs study and an analysis by the Voice put total public subsidies, including tax and rent breaks, at more than $400 million—with about half of that coming from the city.)

The council unanimously approved decommissioning the parks. (Brooklyn arena opponent Tish James abstained.) Three days later, the state legislature passed its alienation bill, and the Yankees had their land.

"No alienation has moved as fast as the Yankees'," says Christian DiPalermo, executive director of New Yorkers for Parks. Coming on the heels of a similarly fast-tracked alienation to place a water filtration plant in Van Cortlandt Park, DiPalermo worries, taking parkland for private uses might become a pattern, especially as new restrictions on eminent domain make it more difficult to take private property for public projects.

With this crucial state legislative hurdle cleared, the project dove straight into the city's Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, put in place in the 1970s in response to the bad old days of Robert Moses's bulldozing of neighborhoods for "urban renewal." After a series of contentious public hearings—at one, stadium-backing Bronx borough president Adolfo Carrión was met with angry chants of "You work for us!"—Bronx Community Board 4 voted 16 to 8 in November to reject the Yankees plan. Under ULURP, though, community board votes are only advisory, and the City Planning Commission—which does have veto power—subsequently unanimously endorsed the project.

The city's draft environmental-impact statement, meanwhile—a 700-plus-page tome that, several Bronx residents have complained, is unreadable to the borough's many Spanish speakers—attracted a flood of citizen comments, which were mostly dismissed with a perfunctory wave of bureaucratese. (Sample text: "The commenter's assertion that the proposed project is 'laden with hidden public subsidies' is outside the scope of [this] analysis. . . . Neither the City nor the State will have any obligation to pay for construction of the new stadium. Thus, there are no hidden public subsidies.")

To some, this timeline points up the trouble with ULURP, which sets a strict seven-month window for public review before a council vote. "That may not be long enough to have a public debate about a major facility that's going to transform an entire area of the city," says Hunter College urban-affairs professor Tom Angotti.

It certainly hasn't been long enough to solidify the stadium plan itself, which remains in a state of flux. As just one example, the city Industrial Development Agency recently revealed that the cost of new parking garages has skyrocketed from $235 million to $320 million in the past four months. While $70 million of that will come out of the pockets of state taxpayers, the remainder is expected to be paid by as-yet-unidentified private developers. If no developer voluntarily comes forward—and the higher the price, the more it looks like a money-loser—the city could be left having to front this money itself.

Moreover, because Macombs Dam Park received funds under the federal Land and Water Conservation Program in the 1980s, the National Park Service still must certify that lost parkland is replaced by equivalent green space. In actuality, says Lukas Herbert, a Westchester city planner who lives near Yankee Stadium and serves on Community Board 4, "the replacement parkland that they're building is almost a mile away, and it's going to be difficult for senior citizens and kids to get there. Right now you walk out your front door, and the park is right there." Save Our Parks is considering a lawsuit over both the EIS failings and the federal park-replacement regs, but, says Herbert, "a lot of us are concerned that if the City Council approves it, they're going to go in and start tearing down trees."

The Mets project, meanwhile, virtually disappeared from the radar after Bloomberg's initial announcement last summer of a new 44,000-seat facility—about 25 percent smaller capacity than Shea Stadium, though roughly the same height—to be built in what's now the center field parking lot. Unlike the Yankees' series of ULURP hearings, the Mets plan has only a single public hearing to its credit so far: an Empire State Development Authority shindig that was held at four on a Monday afternoon, and drew all of six speakers.

"It was a farce," says Flushing community activist David Oats, who has long lobbied for an Olympic stadium in Queens. "Here's a huge, multimillion-dollar project that will affect New York City for generations, and they hold one hearing at four o'clock in the afternoon, and they don't even send out a press release?"

The city insists that the Mets plan doesn't need a fresh public review process because it already conducted an impact study back in 2001, when the project was set to sport a retractable roof and a different financing scheme. It's hard to say, though, since the Mets have still not released their designs for a new stadium, and official state documents indicate design schematics as "intentionally deleted."

The speed of the process has also left little time for the sort of intensive scrutiny that the Jets and Nets plans were subjected to, either by good-government groups or the press. The city Independent Budget Office hasn't weighed in on the fiscal impact of the baseball projects (the IBO's Doug Turetsky says "elected officials have not been coming asking about this"), and no public polls have been conducted, aside from one last July that found just 27 percent of New Yorkers would endorse a new Queens stadium if it cost $180 million in public funds. (The actual Mets subsidy, including tax breaks, would be closer to $400 million.)

The council itself mostly seems to be hoping the whole thing goes away without any tiresome public debate, especially after the tightly controlled Bronx Democratic machine lined up early behind the Yankees. Unlike with the Jets and Nets proposals, a local Bronx councilmember, Helen Foster, co-sponsored the Home Rule message OK'ing the parks grab. Foster recently declared she's not "ready to concede" to building a stadium in the park, while Maria del Carmen Arroyo, whose district actually includes the stadium site, is officially undecided; last Thursday's scheduled council hearing was abruptly postponed at the request of Bronx members, with Arroyo citing unspecified "concerns" that City Hall had yet to address. (Neither Foster nor Arroyo returned calls for this article.)

Jeremy Soffin of the Regional Plan Association, a veteran of the West Side wars, blames "stadium fatigue" after eight years and counting of sports facility squabbles, dating back to Rudy Giuliani's ill-fated gambit to move the Yankees to the West Side rail yards. Others insist that it's less about the timing of these stadium plans, and more about the color of their borough. "In no other community would they accept a stadium across the street from where people live, and accept parking garages to replace parkland," says Anita Antonetty, a Save Our Parks member and recording secretary for Bronx Community Board 4. "The process is just too fast, and the alternatives are not being explored at all."

The still larger concern, adds David Gratt of Friends of Yankee Stadium, is what sort of precedent this sets for future city projects. "The Bronx Terminal Market went through this way; the stadiums are going through this way," says Gratt, a former Department of City Planning staffer. "Developers now expect to finalize their deals by sitting down with the mayor's office, the borough president, and the council. And the process, which was originally designed to solicit public input, is being used to disregard the public."

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:12 am

What are your thoughts on Roy Scheuning? Is there anyway He could fall to Jets at second round? Thanks

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:14 am

John David Booty
Out of all the QB's in this years draft, I believe this guy has the best NFL career. He was hurt a lot this season, but when healthy, he plays very well. He is in a pro style offense, has the size, a hell of an arm, and is a bright kid.

He will be a steal in the 3rd round, not sure if he makes it that far.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:18 am

The Yankees and hundreds of their VIPs will get free valet parking for the next 40 years, courtesy of New York taxpayers. The startling revelation of yet another subsidy for the richest team in baseball is buried deep in the fine print of a $237 million tax-exempt bond offering that city officials quietly issued the week before Christmas. The documents say a $70 million state subsidy for parking improvements for the new Yankee Stadium (slated to open next year) has been earmarked for a new 660-car valet parking garage where virtually all the spaces will be reserved for the free, year-round use of the Yankees and their VIPs.

New York Daily News

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 am

Joe (Boston): Do you think that Matt Ryan could be a legit QB in the NFL? Where do you see him in the draft>

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:23 PM ET ) He's more than legit. He's the best QB in this draft, and will go top 5- to 10. Atlanta and Baltimore could be viable options. You hope he's an outstanding starting QB. He didn't have a lot of help at BC. He was a bit mistake-prone at BC, but a lot of that was due to having to carry that team.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:23 PM ET ) Right now he is the fourth-highest rated overall senior prospect.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 am

Mendenhall faces difficult decision
Illinois running back could be headed to NFL.
By ANDREW SELIGMAN

http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/i0560_BC_FBC_RoseBowl_Mendenh_1stLd_Writethru_01_01_0709

PASADENA, Calif. -- Hounded by a swarming defense, Rashard Mendenhall looked as if he was ready for another college season instead of a big paycheck from the NFL.

And then, he showed just why he might have a lucrative future.

If the Rose Bowl was his final game for Illinois, Mendenhall went out in style. He ran for all but 27 of his 155 yards in the second half, but No. 6 Southern California overwhelmed the 13th-ranked Illini, 49-17 on Tuesday.

Now, Mendenhall has to decide whether to turn pro or return for his senior season.

"I'm still not sure," he said. "There are a lot of things I have to assess. I have to hear things back from the NFL. There's still a lot of thought going into it. It's nice to have the season over and still get some time to think about it."

His decision is the biggest issue facing the Illini (9-4), who orchestrated a stunning turnaround this season after winning just two games in each of coach Ron Zook's first two years. The Illini reached the Rose Bowl for the first time in 24 years, thanks in large part to Mendenhall, but they were no match for USC.

Mendenhall did his damage after being held in check through the first two quarters by the nation's fourth-ranked run defense, and set the school's single-season record for all-purpose yards along the way. He caught five passes for 59 yards and finished the season with 1,999 all-purpose yards. He also set the single-season scoring record with 114 points.

Mendenhall finally came alive on the Illini's first possession of the second half, when he broke up the left side for a 79-yard touchdown run. That cut the deficit to 21-10 and ignited the large Illinois contingent.

He also turned a screen pass into a 55-yard gain later in the quarter, but USC turned three Illini turnovers in the third quarter into touchdowns.

"My man had a heck of a year," safety Kevin Mitchell said. "(He's) a hard runner. I believe (the momentum) did shift. Coach always talks about momentum, and it's up-and-down, up-and-down in the college game. You've got to know when to take advantage of things, and unfortunately, we didn't get the job done."

The Illini's Russ Weil immediately fumbled after that big reception by Mendenhall put the ball on the Trojans 23. Illinois recovered, then gave it away on the next play.

Juice Williams hit Jacob Willis at the 1, but USC's Kaluka Maiava jarred the ball loose and Brian Cushing recovered in the end zone, setting up a touchdown drive that deflated Illinois.

"When you're in the red zone like that, you have to capitalize," Mendenhall said.

Mendenhall, who began the game with 1,526 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns this season, made it clear in the days leading up to this game he's thinking about skipping his senior year.

He acknowledged last week that he has little left to accomplish in school, that he's not interested in a run at the Heisman Trophy. A possible BCS championship might be a powerful reason to come back. Then again, the lure of NFL riches could be too strong to resist.

Zook believes Mendenhall has the talent to be picked in the first round. The million dollar -- or multimillion dollar -- question is whether he needs another season to go that early.

Mendenhall acknowledged his projected draft position will be a factor, after saying last week his decision did not hinge on it.

"That's part of it," he said. "There's a big difference in money between the first, second and third round. I just want to make the best decision for the rest of my life."

Does he have to a projected first-round pick to turn pro? A likely second-rounder?

"I don't really have a cut off," he said. "I have to weigh everything. As much as there's a risk going into the NFL, there's a risk coming back. You don't know who's behind you and who's going to bloom."

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:42 am

Davido- Dc: Hey Mel. The Best Safety in draft? Giants needs Safeties/Corners.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:41 PM ET ) It's a weak group for juniors and seniors. The No. 1 should be Kenny Phillips from Miami, but he did not have a great year. We'll have to wait and see if he comes out early. William Moore, from Missouri, made some big hits yesterday. Those are your two top safeties. Marcus Griffin is the top senior safety, and he is not a first-round caliber player. Griffin is more of a 2-3. Phillips did not play like a first-rounder this year.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:47 am

Did Tim Tebow's perfomance against Michigan hurt his chances to be drafted next year 2009 draft? I wasn't impressed at all, He can't throw.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 am

Johnson, Davis standouts thus far in bowl season

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3174648

By Mel Kiper

Question: Which offensive players who are draft eligible have been standouts during the bowl season?

Kiper: You have to start with East Carolina's senior running back Chris Johnson, who had 418 all-purpose yards against Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl. He had 233 rushing yards and one touchdown; 32 receiving yards and a touchdown; and 153 kickoff return yards. He should run the 40-yard dash somewhere in the 4.3 range. With his speed and versatility, Johnson could be the third running back taken after Arkansas' Darren McFadden and Felix Jones -- assuming both McFadden and Jones declare for the draft.

Texas junior Jamaal Charles finished with 1,619 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns in 2007.
Another running back who capped off a great season with a great bowl performance is Texas running back Jamaal Charles (27 carries, 161 yards, two touchdowns against Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl). Charles has great speed and is a proven game-breaker. The only two backs in the junior class who had better seasons than Charles -- who will have to make a decision about whether to declare for the draft -- were McFadden and Jones.

Purdue's Dustin Keller caught seven passes for 150 yards and one touchdown against Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl. Keller has been in the top five among senior tight ends all season because he is an outstanding option in the passing game. He has great hands and you could see him line up as either an H-back or in the slot at the next level, and I expect Keller to go in either the second or third round.

Houston's Donnie Avery had 10 receptions for 120 yards against TCU in the Texas Bowl. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands and has great ability to make defenders miss after the catch. Like Johnson, he should run well in workouts, somewhere in the 4.3 range. With four-receiver sets in the NFL, Avery will have a key role in the NFL and could go as high as the second round.

I don't like to highlight players who aren't going to be in the draft, but one player to remember for the future is Florida Atlantic QB Rusty Smith. He went 25-of-32 for 336 yards and five touchdowns against Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl. He has good size at 6-foot-5, and is playing for a coach, Howard Schnellenberger, who has a great history of developing quarterbacks.

Question: Which defensive players who are draft eligible have been standouts during the bowl season?

Kiper: The best player I've seen so far has been UCLA DE/LB Bruce Davis. Against BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl, Davis had seven tackles, 3½ for loss, including 2½ sacks and a forced fumble. Davis made a statement in that game, and is going to be an ideal OLB in a 3-4 scheme next season.

Free safety Jamie Silva from Boston College is always around the ball. He is a solid productive and performer and might be the smartest defensive player in the draft. Against Michigan State in the Champ Sports Bowl, Silva had two interceptions and 10 tackles. He might not be a great performer in workouts -- he doesn't have blazing speed and great size -- but in the middle rounds Silva will be a great pickup and someone who will help out on special teams right away.

Sean Lee will be the next great linebacker at Penn State -- assuming he returns in 2008 for his senior season. He was the defensive MVP of the Alamo Bowl with 14 tackles and one pass breakup. Lee already is a marquee prospect and has a decision to make about next April's draft.

A couple of players you might see in the later rounds who had solid bowl games are BYU middle linebacker Kelly Poppinga (13 total tackles against UCLA), and Alabama defensive end Wallace Gilberry (eight tackles, five for loss, a sack against Colorado in the Independence Bowl).

Question: What are the draft needs of the teams in the AFC South?

Kiper: The Houston Texans need secondary help -- a cornerback opposite Dunta Robinson and a ball-hawking safety. The Texans also don't have a featured running back. Darius Walker and Ron Dayne have done a nice job but they aren't No. 1 backs, and Ahman Green will be 31 next season. Houston could also use a defensive end opposite Mario Williams to help take some of the pressure off him. Other needs include an outside linebacker and depth at offensive line, either a left tackle or guard.

The Indianapolis Colts don't have a first-round pick. (They traded it to San Francisco last year to draft Tony Ugoh in the second round.) Indy's top need is a defensive tackle; the Colts' defense is built around the defensive ends and safety Bob Sanders, but it does not have a standout defensive tackle. The Colts could also use a playmaking outside linebacker. Both offensive guards (Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott) are unrestricted free agents, so expect the Colts to look for help along the interior of the offensive line in the latter rounds. Indianapolis has made left tackle a priority in years past, but the Colts have usually looked to fill spots at guard and center in the late rounds or through free agency.

The Jacksonville Jaguars need a No. 1 wide receiver. They've attempted to find one in recent years (Reggie Williams, Matt Jones) but the Jaguars haven't had a big-time wide receiver since Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith. Also look for the Jaguars to draft a defensive end; Bobby McCray's numbers have dropped off and Reggie Hayward hasn't been the same dominant pass-rusher since coming back from an Achilles tendon injury. Jacksonville also needs depth at defensive back -- either at safety or cornerback.

Clearly, the No. 1 need for the Tennessee Titans is at wide receiver. Roydell Williams stepped up and gave Vince Young an option in the passing game, but Tennessee doesn't have a big-time receiver. That's one reason why Young's passing numbers aren't where they need to be. The Titans could also use a defensive tackle to line up next to Albert Haynesworth. Last year's first-round pick Michael Griffin is playing free safety but he could move to cornerback. If Tennessee leaves Griffin at free safety then look for the Titans to add depth at cornerback and at outside linebacker. Keith Bulluck is still a great player, but he isn't getting any younger.

Click here to send a question to Mel Kiper for possible use on ESPNEWS.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:59 am

Leon, D-Bo Return to Florida, Families

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2029-leon-d-bo-return-to-florida-families
The only good that comes out of ending a season before the New Year? Players and coaches get to catch up with their loved ones.

“That’s the thing you miss the most during the season is spending time with your family,” said Leon Washington, the Jets’ 2007 MVP. “You don’t get a chance to see them. My family is 1,200 miles away down in Florida. You want to catch up on all the things going on with them and relax away from football for a few weeks.”

Washington, a native of Jacksonville, has a 2-year-old son who will be waiting for his daddy when he returns down south.

“I miss him a lot,” Washington said. “We are going to hit Disney up and we are going to play catch a little bit with the football and just enjoy each other.”

Veteran outside linebacker David Bowens, who just completed his first season with the Jets, will also go home to the Sunshine State. The former Dolphin still has a residence in Miami and plans on relaxing with his daughters, making stops at Disney World and SeaWorld.

“My two girls are 13 and 7 and that’s why I have this gray hair,” Bowens joked.

Unfortunately, the Jets will have to replace a family member in 2008. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff’s upcoming surgery on his left leg will force him to miss at least the 2008 season.

“Mike’s a good friend. I’ll see him in the off-season in Florida and we’ll try to do some fishing,” Bowens said. “It hasn’t sunk it yet. I’ll be talking to him and seeing what I can do on my game and what we can do special-teams-wise.”

After 25 NFL seasons and seven in charge of the Jets’ special teams, Westhoff’s absence will be felt throughout the league.

“Mike’s tough. He’s like the old veteran that you see every week that’s still going to play. Mike doesn’t miss much,” Bowens said. “This game needs Mike more than he needs the game. He’s been an attribute to the league as far as his schemes and his aggressiveness and the way he plays special teams. That’s going to be missed.”

The one thing you can always count on in the NFL is the team picture changing each year. The 2007 Jets met for the final time Monday morning and all those players and coaches will never assemble together at one time again at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

“It’s kind of weird. It kind of reminds me when you were back in grade school,” Washington said. “You go away for a long time for that summer break, and then you come back and see all your schoolmates and there are some people who have moved on.”

This season's Jets won’t be remembered for a tremendous record, but they revealed character throughout disappointment.

“I think the losses made us closer,” Bowens said. “When we found out we weren’t going to be in it, guys could have been selfish, done their own thing and not played hard. But we stuck together and nobody pointed fingers. We had each other’s back and that’s the most important thing.”

And now with the season complete, the New Year means a little family time for the Green & White.
The only good that comes out of ending a season before the New Year? Players and coaches get to catch up with their loved ones.

“That’s the thing you miss the most during the season is spending time with your family,” said Leon Washington, the Jets’ 2007 MVP. “You don’t get a chance to see them. My family is 1,200 miles away down in Florida. You want to catch up on all the things going on with them and relax away from football for a few weeks.”

Washington, a native of Jacksonville, has a 2-year-old son who will be waiting for his daddy when he returns down south.

“I miss him a lot,” Washington said. “We are going to hit .
Disney up and we are going to play catch a little bit with the football and just enjoy each other.”

Veteran outside linebacker David Bowens, who just completed his first season with the Jets, will also go home to the Sunshine State. The former Dolphin still has a residence in Miami and plans on relaxing with his daughters, making stops at Disney World and SeaWorld.

“My two girls are 13 and 7 and that’s why I have this gray hair,” Bowens joked.

Unfortunately, the Jets will have to replace a family member in 2008. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff’s upcoming surgery on his left leg will force him to miss at least the 2008 season.

“Mike’s a good friend. I’ll see him in the off-season in Florida and we’ll try to do some fishing,” Bowens said. “It hasn’t sunk it yet. I’ll be talking to him and seeing what I can do on my game and what we can do special-teams-wise.”

After 25 NFL seasons and seven in charge of the Jets’ special teams, Westhoff’s absence will be felt throughout the league.

“Mike’s tough. He’s like the old veteran that you see every This season's Jets won’t be remembered for a tremendous record, but they revealed character throughout disappointment.

“I think the losses made us closer,” Bowens said. “When we found out we weren’t going to be in it, guys could have been selfish, done their own thing and not played hard. But we stuck together and nobody pointed fingers. We had each other’s back and that’s the most important thing.”

And now with the season complete, the New Year means a little family time for the Green & White.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Marco Thomas

http://sea.scout.com/a.z?s=114&p=8&c=1&yr=2007&nid=2974050

Ht: 5-11 Wt: 176
Position: WR
Birthplace: Chicago, IL
Class: RS - Senior
High School: Bogan Computer Technical HS
(Chicago, IL)
College: Western Illinois

2007 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings (full list):
Pos: WR Pos Rank: #43 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Elusiveness with Catch
Hands and Concentration

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Downfield Threat
Size
A productive small-school pass catcher the past two seasons, Thomas can be a fifth receiver in the NFL only if he adds the element of return specialist to his game.

Biography:

Three-year starter and All-Conference selection as a senior after leading the team with 58/738/4. Junior totals were 43/794/5.

Pos:

Slender, reliable pass-catcher effective running after the reception. Quick releasing off the line, finds the clearing on the field and adjusts well. Effectively uses the sidelines, displays good eye/hand coordination and body catches when necessary. Uses his frame to protect the pass and stays focused, looking the ball into his hands.

Neg:

Choppy route runner who slows into breaks. Lacks strong hands and loses out in battles. Does not possess the top-end speed to beat defenders deep.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Jets sign David Clowney
Written by Sports Features
Wednesday, 03 October 2007

http://www.davidclowney.com/
The New York Jets have signed WR David Clowney off of the Green Bay Packers practice squad. The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Clowney (6-0, 188, Virginia Tech) was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2007 draft. He was waived by Green Bay on Sept. 1 and then signed to their practice squad on Sept. 4. The Delray Beach, FL native, who was born on Long Island, NY, finished his four-year career at Virginia Tech with 93 receptions for 1,373 yards and six touchdowns, while returning five kickoffs for 119 yards. He was the Hokies leading receiver in both 2005 and 2006 with 34 receptions each year.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Brett Ratliff

http://utah.scout.com/a.z?s=365&p=8&c=1&nid=2706606

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 224
Position: QB
Date of Birth: 8/8/1985
Birthplace: Chico, CA
Class: Senior
High School: Chico HS
(Chico, CA)
Junior College: Butte
College: Utah

2007 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings (full list):
Pos: QB Pos Rank: #26 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Arm Strength

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Accuracy / Consistency
Decision-making
Offering size and the arm strength to play at the next level, Ratliff must significantly improve his fundamentals to have any chance of being anything other than a practice squad player.

Biography:

Junior college transfer who took over starting duties as a senior, Pos:ting 58.3%/2,796/23/9.

Pos:

Nice-sized pocket passer with marginal skill for the next level. Patient, buys time for receivers and finds the open pass-catcher on the field. Sells the ball fakes, throws with an over-the-top delivery and puts zip on the short throws, getting the ball through the tight spots.

Neg:

Takes most of his snaps out of the shotgun and is slow dropping into the pocket when lined up behind center. Does not have a quick release. Long passes hang in the air. Indecisive when pressured and makes questionable decisions.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Chat with Mel Kiper

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18657

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, Mel Kiper Jr. will drop by to talk about the bowl game matchups, the NFL, the draft and any other questions you might have about the gridiron.

Send your questions now and join Mel this Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET!

Kiper Archive: Chats | Columns

SportsNation Buzzmaster: Mel will be here in five minutes, everyone!

SportsNation Mel Kiper: We've had some standout efforts in the bowls, and we can get into prospect evaluation today, even moving ahead with the juniors who decided to come out or stay.

Jason (Indiana): I think Rashard Mendenhall has more of an upside than Darren Mcfadden? How good do you think Mendenhall can be in the NFL?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: With what he showed yesterday, this is a guy who broke off some long gains against a good defense. He showed something against that tenacious defense. To be able to run away in the open field suggests an excellent 40 time, because we don't have measurables yet on juniors. He showed gamebreaking speed. He will not have a higher grade than McFadden. He's battling Felix Jones for that second RB spot. Another kid who is rising quickly is Chris Johnson from E. Carolina.

Miles (Haymarket, VA): Where in the draft where Erik Ainge end up and which team?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I like Erik Ainge. He grows on you the more you watch him play. He's workmanlike and unflappable. He's a very big guy and has the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. He has just enough mobility in the pocket, and remember, he did not have elite talent around him. To me, he had an outstanding year. I think he is underrated a bit. I could very easily see him going in round two. He is the fourth-highest rated senior QB on my board.

David (Dallas): **Mel, I've been dying to get your opinion on this guy: Michael Crabtree. I know people are hesitant to take TTU stats seriously, but this guy is amazing, especially since he's played WR for less than a year. Future 1st rounder? Also, what are your thoughts on Harrell as a pro prospect?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Crabtree is a phenomenal talent. Big, fast, athletic, strong, competitive, good hands. He will have to adjust to route running and precise patterns in the NFL. He will be a third-year sophomore, which makes him eligible for the 2009 draft. He could be a part of that. Enjoy him while he is at Texas Tech. He has a chance to be an elite prospect, and will certainly get Heisman attention next year. Graham Harrell is a fifth- to seventh-highest rated QB. He needs to put a little weight on and get stronger, physically. Certainly that will give him a chance. Texas Tech QBs have had trouble catching on as starters in the NFL.

Vincent (Chicago): Mel, which defensive player would you target at #7 if you were Belichick/Pioli? Also, does Laurinitis fit their system, and how low can they trade down before he is likely to be off the board?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: He will go right about where they are picking. It could work out that he is their guy. He's a consistent week-to-week player. Rey Maualuga is also interesing, a middle LB from USC. You saw his physical gifts last night against Illinois. Week-to-week, Laurianitis is more consistent.

Jim (LA): Does Colt Brennan's side arm delivery scare you or is it similar to Philip Rivers?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Colt throws the ball from a lot of different angles. He's a slinging sidearmer. Last night's game didn't help his cause. He looked small in that game, not physically imposing. He's about 6'2", 200, and he needs to add some weight. The speed of that Georgia defense exposed Hawaii as an average football team. I said this all year, if they were in the SEC, they would be 6-6, at best. People said I was crazy! It didn't surprise me what happened last night. They could have hung half a hundred on them last night if they needed to. I think Colt would have gone second round with a good game. It hurt his draft. He needs to have a good week down in Mobile. There's a lot to like about him, but he was hurt by his performance.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: There will be a disproportionate amount of blame given to him, though. Hawaii was simply overmatched.

Chad (Savannah, GA): What players have the most to gain and what players have the most to lose in the BCS champ game?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: The juniors. Vernon Golsten, Laurianitis, Malcolm Jenkins, Brian Robiskie--all of which have a decision to make. For LSU, junior DE Tyson Jackson, junior ILB Darry Beckwith. Those are elite underclassmen who need to put forth their best effort. This is an important game for those juniors. In terms of seniors, Early Doucet, injued a lot this year, Glenn Dorsey, also injured a lot, fighting for draft position at the top of the board.

Joe (Boston): Do you think that Matt Ryan could be a legit QB in the NFL? Where do you see him in the draft>

SportsNation Mel Kiper: He's more than legit. He's the best QB in this draft, and will go top 5- to 10. Atlanta and Baltimore could be viable options. You hope he's an outstanding starting QB. He didn't have a lot of help at BC. He was a bit mistake-prone at BC, but a lot of that was due to having to carry that team.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Right now he is the fourth-highest rated overall senior prospect.

Matt (Glendale, CA): A year or two away but is LeSean McCoy a 1st Rd talent?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Yes. He's a great RB. They had two very good tackles on that OL, but when you look at McCoy, he has good feet, quick, patience, great vision, and good burst to daylight when he sees an opening. LeSean McCoy certainly looks like he has a chance to be one of the best backs in the country, even next year.

Matt (Boston): Chris long is a beast. It makes to much sense for St Louis at Number 2. But is there any chance he falls?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: No, he'll be a consideration for anywhere from No. 1 to No. 4. All the teams picking have to take a good, hard look at him. He has tremendous ability and intangibles. He gives you everything he has--ability plus attitude. He is a true warrior. He'll be one of those guys at the top of the draft. Once the juniors declare, we'll have a good idea of where exactly he will end up.

SprungOnSports (Long Island): How high has Chase Daniel's stock gone up since the bowl game and his late season run?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: It is what it .s He's in a system that is QB-friendly. He had stars around him--at TE, at WR, a great RB in Tony Temple. He has a lot of weapons around him, with tons of time due to the shotgun. The fact of the matter is, if you could put three inches of height on him, you'd have a top-notch prospect. He does loft some passes--throws that aren't zipped. Can he thread the needle when he has to?

Cam Tharp (Portland): Mel, why has Jonathan Stewart dropped in your rankings? He just ran for 253 yards against a good South Florida defense.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: He's always been in that top grouping. He's right in there with McFadden, Jones, Mendenhall, and Stewart. He's always been an elite guy. It's not dropping. I liked his peformance against SF's defense--that is a pretty good defense that he just gashed. Darren McFadden is never going to be knocked off that top spot.

Nick (Allentown, PA): What about Arrington from Michigian? he showed upside in the game verse Florida, where do you see him falling?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: We can also bring up Manningham in this. Arrington is only a junior, and he will move up in the rankings based on his performance. You look at his size--6'2", 195, and he is a junior on the rise. The No. 1 junior receiver is still DeSean Jackson. Malcom Kelly of Oklahoma is second, and Brian Robiskie is third. Manningham, another junior WR from Michigan, has tremendous speed and is a deep threat, but he does drop some balls and doesn't show the toughness or aggressiveness to go over the middle. He's not an inside threat. Probably a second-round pick. Arrington will be a key entity in that new spread offense, and Ryan Mallett. You have to see where Terrell Prior ends up as well. We'll have to keep a close eye on what happens with Michigan.

Mike (Carbondale, IL): I never hear much about Adarius Bowman out of OKSt. Is he going to play on Sundays?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Adarius Bowman has to show that he can be a wide receiver. He's about 225 points, 6'3". He had a knee injury against Kansas--a little stiff and mechanical. If you could get him up to 235-240, you may have an H-back. Can he seperate against quality CBs? He is physical, tough, and a good blocker. He'll be a guy you can consider in the third round. Also at OK. St., Brandon Pettigrew (right up there with Fred Davis from USC) and Dantrelle Savage could go in the third to fifth round.

Vonte'(Charlotte,NC): Where will Andre Fluellen get drafted?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: There are injury and durability concerns with Fluellen. There have been times when he looks average, and times when he has shown big-time ability. He's a guy who I thought could be a first-or-second-round pick, but he didn't have the year I expected. He is probably an early day-2 guy.

Nick (Eugene, OR): mel, will oregon's dennis dixon be a early draft pick?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Not early, because of the injury. He is still a one-year wonder, coming out of a spread offense. He would have needed to go to an all-star game and had a good week in Mobile. Oregon could have been playing for the National Championship if he had stayed healthy. Now you're thinking lower than second round. He only played, really, in nine full games, and he was great in those, but the chances of him being a second-round pick ended when he was hurt.

Davido- Dc: Hey Mel. The Best Safety in draft? Giants needs Safeties/Corners.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: It's a weak group for juniors and seniors. The No. 1 should be Kenny Phillips from Miami, but he did not have a great year. We'll have to wait and see if he comes out early. William Moore, from Missouri, made some big hits yesterday. Those are your two top safeties. Marcus Griffin is the top senior safety, and he is not a first-round caliber player. Griffin is more of a 2-3. Phillips did not play like a first-rounder this year.

Dee (Greenville, NC): Mel do you see any potential NT prospects San Diego can try to get at the end of the first round? If not do you see them going for Safety or OL with their first pick?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: You can look down the line a bit for DTs. Right now, there's nobody in the first round who really jumps out at your, in terms of the safety position. I'd say for them, WR could be a good area to focus on. They could also go for another DB. they can wait and see what happens with the board. They don't really have any glaring holes, and are a talented football team.

Ken (Tarzana, CA): How much did Ryan Torain's foot injury hurt his draft stock?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: He was off to a great start, and you look at the kind of talent he has--you would like to see a senior RB from start to finish, especially when there are a lot of juniors in this draft. You have the emergence of Chris Johnson at E. Carolina. The senior RB crop is average. If Torain had stayed healthy, he would be one of the top three senior RBs in the draft.

Maury-Florida: Did Tim Tebow's perfomance against Michigan hurt his chances to be drafted next year 2009 draft? I wasn't impressed at all, He can't throw.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: It didn't help. Michigan played a more physical game. They out-slugged Florida. They could have easily won by 17. They threw away opportunities for points. Tebow had an opportunity to win it and couldn't get it done. Bear in mind, they did not have a good running game or O-line, and had to move Percy Harvin, and Tebow still put up enormous numbers. It's not a pro-style offense, which will cause evaluation problems.

Barry (NY): How much did Chad Henne boost his draft stock with yesterday's performance? Will he be a first day pick?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Remember, the first day is only the first and second round. I'd say borderline. He's sort of a third or fourth-rounder. You don't see a level of consistency, but he makes some "wow" throws. He has a big-league arm that is wild. He is not precise when he needs to be. He also lacks mobility. He can wow you or leave you shaking your head. Put it this way--Ainge and Brohm were more consistent. Booty was more consistent when he was healthy. You could argue he's between five and seven in senior QBs. There may only be one first-rounder out of that group. The junior QBs will not present any top guys. The QB whose stock is dropping is Andre Woodson. He did not wow me at all in the bowl game--slow delivery, too much air under his throws. The guy who has elevated is Joe Flacco from Delaware.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Brohm, incidentally, has a lot of mixed opinion out on him--some think he's a 1, others a 3.

Matt (Boston): Do you like the changes they made with the NFL draft? Will it help?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I've been screaming as much about that as I have about the lack of a playoff in college football. Fifteen minutes is ridiculous. Goodell looked at a six-plus hour first round, and it was ridiculous. Teams were using the fifteen minutes for publicity. They didn't need that time to make a trade. If you don't know who you are picking by April 26th, you have a problem. I think the new time is perfect. We can do the first two rounds on day 1 only, and rounds 3-7 on day 2. I couldn't be happier. I would have reduced it to ten for the first, seven for the second, five for the third and fourth, and three for everything afterwards.

Erik (Pompton Lakes, NJ): Who could be the first TE taken and where does he end up? What about John Carlson?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Carlson has good hands, is a decent blocker, but did not have a great year. The pieces weren't in place in his system. He suffered because of that. The top TE would be Fred Davis-excellent player with a strong game yesterday. Brandon Pettigrew is in the mix as well. There is a good group of TEs from the junior class. Bennet from A&M, Beckum from Wisconsin. John Carlson is third right now. Martin Rucker from Missouri is fourth. Jacob Tamme from Kentucky could be a Chris Cooley type. Another interesting guy is Mike Peterson from Northwest Missouri State.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: We still have five games to go to round up the college season. There will be a lot of great prospects coming up. We'll be back next Wendesday at 1 to start it all over again!

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:10 pm

How come Mr.Miserynelli? How come you don't talk about Mets and their also building a parking garage? Oh that's right you don't have Guts to kill them as much Yankees do..

The Yankees are paying $800 million in from their own pocket. I don't Mr. Wilpon do that for Mets, He had relied by NY Tax Payers for his new stadium.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:25 pm

at Prospect Insider, a reputable and popular M’s blog, Jason Churchill quotes an NL Executive as saying the Mets will eventually acquire Santana, though it will cost them Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez in addition to two pitching prospects.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 pm

a. I'm sure that Mike Wallace's interview of Roger Clemens will be one heck of a grilling. Wallace, a Yankees fan, has sat in George Steinbrenner's box and is an avowed admirer of Clemens. Apparently he did the interview of the suspected pitcher in his house. Somehow, I don't think this will rival a 1970s Mike Wallace interrogation of some dirty politician.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey Jim - My advice to you
"Don't Drink and Drive" like Larussa and Leyritz

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Jack (Richmond Hill, NY): Do you see the Mets being able to deal for a starter with their prospects or are they going to be stuck signing a washed up free agent?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:37 PM ET ) I think I get this question every week . . . I'm not as high on Gomez, Pelfrey, Humber and most of the Mets prospects as others might be. Their packages don't seem too enticing to me.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 pm

ro (NYC): What do you make of Carlos Gomez's season? I expect to see young players struggle with off speed stuff but not only did he struggle with the off speed stuff, he looked overpowered by average MLB fastballs. The only way he was getting on base with any consistency was via the bunt. I think the Mets traded the wrong OF prospect. Thoughts?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:37 PM ET ) Lots of Gomez questions . . . Most rookies struggle in their first taste of the majors, but I've never been that high on Gomez. He's more toolsy than skilled. I think Milledge is more talented, but his makeup is a disaster, too. I think the Mets just wanted to get rid of him.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Jim Callis Chat on Yankees

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18658

Chris, (Staten Island, NY): Jim, don't you think the Yankees would be in better shape moving into the new stadium in 2009 if they passed on Santana even if it means he lands in Boston. With $65 million coming off the payroll after next season(not including Pettite), they could easily sign Sabbathia and/or Teixeira. How does a rotation of Sabbathia, Pettite, Joba, Wang and Hughes strike you with Kennedy, Horne and Sanchez in the pen as depth?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:02 PM ET ) As good as Santana is, his cost is going to be so high that, yes, you can make the argument that the money could be spent more efficiently. But the one mistake people make is assuming that a team will just be able to automatically sign any free agent they want. What if those guys don't want to play in New York? What if the Red Sox or Mets or Cubs throw big money at them?

Mike (Carbondale, IL): For an early prediction, who are your 8 playoff teams?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:42 PM ET ) Without having given it much thought: Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Los Angeles in the AL. Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Los Angeles and Arizona in the NL

Jim Callis hates the Yankees so much He had to pick The paper champion Detroit Tigers over Yankees making the playoffs next year.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next