Yankeeslegends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redsox Fans and their Inferiority complex

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Redsox Fans and their Inferiority complex - Page 2 Empty Re: Redsox Fans and their Inferiority complex

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 am

Clemens' Eye Movements On 60 Minutes

http://waswatching.com/

For what it's worth, I spent a lot of time watching Rocket's eyes during his interview that that aired this evening on 60 Minutes. Some believe that "your eyes will position themselves according to the thoughts that are in your head."

When Clemens was not looking straight-on during the interview, his eyes were going either to the right, and up, or, to the left, and down. Most times, his eyes were moving down and to the left.

This suggests, that, during the interview, Roger was accessing the visual part of his memory and thinking about his feelings. And, his eyes didn't offer a "tell" that he was lying.

I was really expecting to see different results than these, coming into the interview. If Clemens goes to Washington, it will be interesting, if possible, to see his eye movements during testimony there too.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Redsox Fans and their Inferiority complex - Page 2 Empty Re: Redsox Fans and their Inferiority complex

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 am

~~I find it intersting that you find a way to take credit away from Cashman for signing Melky and Cano but put the blame squarely on him for passing on David wright.~~

fair point - and, I now take that back, on Wright

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 am

Hey, Hoynsie! Your Indians questions answered
Sunday, January 06, 2008

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1199611942171810.xml&coll=2

Got an Indians question? Send it in. Submit your question to cleveland.com/heyhoynsie, and Plain Dealer Indians beat writer Paul Hoynes will choose several to answer each Sun day here in the sports section. All of Paul's an swers will be archived online.

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: What's up with C.C. Sabathia? Has there been a formal offer made by the Tribe? - Mark Lasher, Bangor, Pa.

A: Hey, Mark: GM Mark Shapiro confirmed that the offer has been made, but would say nothing else. The length of the contract, rather than the money involved, is expected to be a problem. Sabathia's agents believe he's earned a lengthy deal (five to seven years), but it's unlikely the Indians would be willing to make that kind of commitment.
Advertisement

It's doubtful these negotiations will reach any kind of conclusion until the start of the regular season.

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: I'm startled by the Indians' lack of activity this winter, especially with their low payroll. Do you know what their corporate goals are? Make money? Contend for the Central? Contend for the World Series? - Jay Fuchs, Bainbridge

A: Hey, Jay: The Indians' goals seem clear to me. They won 96 games, a division title and came within one victory of reaching the World Series last season. The team that did all that is expected, with a tweak here and there, to return this year.

I thought the Indians would make a big trade this winter, but even if they don't, I think they're capable of improving on last year's performance. Remember, as well, teams aren't only built in the off-season, they also can be improved during the season.

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: What are the chances we will see Asdrubal Cabrera at shortstop and Jhonny Peralta play third base? I certainly would try that in preseason if I were managing the Indians. Peralta certainly has enough arm, and reaction time is more important than mobility at third. - Robert Schuerger, Los Angeles

A: Hey, Robert: I don't see that happening. A trade or injury, of course, could change that. - Hoynsie

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: My nephews don't believe me that there was a player for the Minnesota Twins who urinated on every American League field, between the foul lines, between the first pitch and last out. Bail me out with the name, please. - John McDonnell, Chesterland

A: Hey, John: Rick Bosetti spent most of his career with To ronto and claims to have urinated on every American League field. Bosetti played from 1976-82, but he never played for the Twins.

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: How is Tribe pitcher Juan Lara doing? - Carl Kostol, Tigard, Ore.

A: Hey, Carl: Lara is still at the Cleveland Clinic recovering from operations on his neck and left arm resulting from a November car accident that almost killed him. Ross Atkins, Indians director of player development, says Lara is doing well.

Q: Hey, Hoynsie: Why aren't the Indians trying as hard as they can to keep Kenny Lofton? He's one of the best players they have. He's a crowd favorite. The fans react to him like no other player. Cleveland loves Kenny. - Lisa Hanmer, Sheffield Lake

A: Hey, Lisa: We've been through this before. Lofton feels he can still play every day. He does not want to be a bench player. While the Indians were pleased with the boost he gave them last year down the stretch and in the postseason, they want to give some of their younger outfielders more playing time.

That being said, there is no argument about Lofton's popularity. He will always be an Indian in the heart of the team's fans.

- Hoynsie

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:47 pm

ments

"above-average range"
"average pop"
"fits a No. 3 or No. 4 starter profile"
"command relegates him to a No. 3 or 4 starter profile"
"groundball machine who fills the No. 3 or 4 slot"
"compare him to Jacoby Ellsbury, which is a stretch"
#10 "won't pitch in his first pro game until 2009"

If the rule of thumb for yankee prospects is that they typically amount to 50% of their hype I hope the steinbrenners are putting slot machines into their new stadium to help capture customers.

Posted by: RS Fanbase | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 01:42 PM

Ellsbury = singles hitter , No Power at all

Masterson labeled as bullpen guy in future

Kalish? White Version of Coco Crisp? hehe

Bowden = back to end rotation -#4 and #5

Posted by: Mg-yf@yahoo.com | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:09 PM

"If the rule of thumb for yankee prospects is that they typically amount to 50% of their hype I hope the steinbrenners are putting slot machines into their new stadium to help capture customers."

I love how this a yankee specific thing. Prospects flame out everywhere. Furthermore, the article that is being quoted isnt written by a yankee fan rather a well-respected site that covers minor league players exclusively. They have no reason to hype them beyond what the believe them to be. Also, why did you bother to pull out all of the negatives in this article, there are plenty of positives too and the article is directly above your comment.

Posted by: sam-YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:28 PM

I wouldn't even know about masterson, kalish and bowden if I did not occasionally read this blog. Since most farmhands, even the rated ones, never get to sniff the majors I don't see the point in getting emotionally involved with their progress.

But that said, why are the RS willing to dump 5 of their probably-will-never-be's for santana, but the yankees will only sacrifice hughes and a known anti-commodity, in cabrera? Why not toss another "3-4 starter", in kennedy, into the pot, which reportedly would seal the deal? Is this another example of the yankees buying into their own hype, or is baseball america dead wrong by not being overly impressed with him?

Posted by: RS Fanbase | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:38 PM

The first two posts in this thread aren't worth dignifying. This is the type of stuff we should be avoiding, they add nothing to the site.

Posted by: SF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:39 PM

1) Melky is hardly and "anti-commodity"
2) A number 3-4 starter making the league minimum for the 5 years is nothing to sneeze at. If kennedy develops into a 3-4 starter the yankees will be thrilled, they arent over hyping them its prob. exactly what they expect from him...

Posted by: sam-YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:46 PM

Why is it everytime I post something I find interesting you decide it isn't worth "dignifying"? What are you, a blog snob or something?

The point I thought of, but admittedly posted randomly about, is what happened to the blue chip status of tabata and kennedy? I thought these two were, like, can't miss kids. Any particular reason for the BA downgrades?

Posted by: RS Fanbase | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:50 PM

"Melky is hardly and "anti-commodity"
Maybe not but he is a break in the yankee lineup, and I would take coco in CF over him in an instant.

Posted by: RS Fanbase | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:57 PM

"Interesting" and "instructive" don't need to be mutually exclusive, RSF. Sadly, you seem to think so.

The ratings for Horne and Ohlendorf surprised me. As I know nothing about the Yanks' system, I basically just go by what I read here and what I come across when I'm visiting other Yankee-related blogs (mostly during the Santana debates), and my impression of those two pitchers was much higher as a result. It sounds like they might be overvalued by many Yankee fans, much like I think Masterseon is generally overvalued by Sox fans...

Posted by: Paul SF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:57 PM

Again, if you read the FULL description of those two players I think you will find that they are quite positive and hardly a downgrade. From the yankees perspective, players like this have lots of value. Developing even a league average player out of your own system and nothing in these descriptions say they dont have a high ceiling. The 3 lines just give a summary of what we may expect. Finally, the yankees know all of these players better than anyone else. Say what you want about them, the yankees know how to run a business and have some the best scouts around working for them. There is absolutely no reason to assume they are overvaluing anyone.

Posted by: sam-YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:59 PM

There is really no reason to rehash the Melky vs Coco argument. Im glad you like your guy but there is not a clear cut winner between these two guys. If you feel that Coco is a commodity its aweful hard to argue that melky is not. I personally like that Melky is 23, has more pop in his bat, and could easily improve in the coming years.

Posted by: sam-YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:02 PM

Jeez, Paul, a guy pegged to be a #3 or #4 ML starter is a pretty damn good prospect. Not everyone can be Joba or Clay.

I think the issue is making a guy who projects that (at his highest) an "untouchable", as we've heard bandied about the internets and the sports media. But that's subjective and all part of posturing, who knows what the truth really is...

Posted by: SF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:04 PM

The reason some players dropped or dropped out was more a testament to the state of the Yankees FS. That according to the author via his 2 pm live chat.

Posted by: John - YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:11 PM

The point I thought of, but admittedly posted randomly about, is what happened to the blue chip status of tabata and kennedy? I thought these two were, like, can't miss kids. Any particular reason for the BA downgrades?

That's not what you typed, remotely. If that's what you were thinking of, why didn't you just type that exactly as I have quoted above? It's a reasonable question (answered by John immediately above) that is nothing like the first post you put up in this thread.

Posted by: SF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:15 PM

Because I am a rs fan, and as such it is imperative that I take a jab at the yankees whenever possible.

Posted by: RS Fanbase | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:17 PM

I hope to do a post which collects the various top ten lists (BA, K. Goldstein, No Maas, Sickels, Minor League Baseball, etc) that I've seen around. There is some consensus (Joba, of course) and quite a bit of variation.

Looking at the BA list, I'm surprised that Gardner cracks it (it seems a lot of the toolsy prospect people aren't usually this high on him). Oldendorff seems also high to me as well. I wonder where Dellin Betances, a prospect I'm very excited about, ranks. This list also makes me even more excited about Austin Jackson.

Posted by: Nick-YF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:21 PM

Like I said, just my impressions based on the way people were talking about them. Ohlendorf being compared to Jeff Nelson doesn't jive with the way some have been talking about him.

Posted by: Paul SF | Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:25 PM

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Hank Hearts Cash

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyside075491318dec07,0,5598267.story

From Kat O'Brien -

"We haven't discussed [Brian Cashman's] extension yet, but he's part of the Yankee family and has been for 21 years. I don't see any reason to not continue that."

"He's busy, we're busy, there just hasn't been any detailed discussion about that," Steinbrenner said. "Is Brian's job on the line because of what the team does this year? No, that's sensationalism to say it's based on 2008 ... I'm very pleased with what Brian and Damon [Oppenheimer] and Mark Newman and all the scouts and people have done with the drafts, with the last three drafts."

Looks like Brian can write his own ticket when it comes to Hank.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/119959777672890.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

On his relationship with general manager Brian Cashman:

"(Brian) can be more conservative with our money than we are. He put back together our organization. I've always told him, there are things that have to be my final decision. But he's the general manager, and he has the right to try and talk me out of it. And he has talked me out of it."

Theo aka Flip-flopper, I thought He quit and then went back to Redsox in gorilla outfit so Redsox can finish Josh Beckett trade.. Gimme me break.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Luis Terrero, again
betternextyear Post #1: 3:40 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 925

The next question is when MacFail brings back Luis Matos?

When Roch mentioned it in his blog, I thought it was a joke. But the O's have re-signed Luis Terrero, who distinguished himself by batting a big, fat .200, with one home run in his last stint with the O's.

Maybe the recent thread about Bigbie is not as out of date as it seems. MacFail's plan may be to bring back the former O's outfielders who failed utterly with other clubs after being cut the first time.

Keep your eyes open for the second coming of Napoleon Calzado, Ramon Nivar and Midre Cummings.

Where this front office is concerned, nothing is too absurd, especially if the scrubs they sign are dirt cheap.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Cashman said 3 pitchers have guaranteed spots in the pen
KingofNYCEH1 Post #1: 3:54 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2095

That will be Rivera, Farnsworth(unfortunately) and Hawkins. but it is really 4 (mussina or Kennedy). From the list below who else would you put in the pen assuming they go with 12 pitchers. So technically there are only 3 spots.

Igawa

Bruney

Ohlendoff

Britton

Marquez

Ramirez

Veras

Karsten

Henn

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 pm

FYI - from John Manuel chat

Q: Bernie from Cambridge, Mass. asks:
How does the Yankees' top 10 stack up against Boston ?

A: John Manuel: I've ranked the Yanks system for three or four books now and this is the best shape the system has been in in that span. The same is true for Boston, however. I'd take Joba over Clay Buchholz, though Jim Callis would not. I'm with Jim in that I really think highly of Ellsbury, Anderson, Masterson, Lowrie . . . I think Boston's top 10 is safer than New York's and Boston has more big bats and more strength in the infield (just by having Lowrie, who I like). New York has more pitching depth but less variety; I like Boston's top 10 by a hair and Boston's system by a little bit just because it has more hitters who have a chance to be big league regulars.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/chat...0701&rnd=18 (subscriber only)

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm

The future of the AL East
Steveringo Post #1: 10:40 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 4086

We know Boston and New York will always be in contention with their owners that are willing to spend some money on their products.

Toronto has helped their team by signing great players and could contend for the title if everything goes well.

Baltimore has recently spent a ton of cash to try to compete. Even though they are on a down swing, you know they will eventually get the players they need to come back.

The Rays unfortunately haven't figured out how to develop a competitive major league team. It would be nice if all five teams could eventually compete for the division, but it looks like Tampa Bay has no desire.
EC_Bias Post #2: 10:45 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2591
I see absolutely no reason to throuw TB under the bus before Baltimore. The O's are horrid and fixing to get worse. I think it's a pretty safe bet to see TB finish atleast 4th.
Steveringo Post #3: 10:51 am Quote | Report Violation

I see absolutely no reason to throuw TB under the bus before Baltimore. The O's are horrid and fixing to get worse. I think it's a pretty safe bet to see TB finish atleast 4th.

For now, yes. The sad thing is that The Rays only hope is 4th place. At least we know Baltimore will try to compete in the future. Tampa will probably never spend the necessary money.
Metphan317 Post #4: 11:29 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2761

We know Boston and New York will always be in contention with their owners that are willing to spend some money on their products.

Toronto has helped their team by signing great players and could contend for the title if everything goes well.

Baltimore has recently spent a ton of cash to try to compete. Even though they are on a down swing, you know they will eventually get the players they need to come back.

The Rays unfortunately haven't figured out how to develop a competitive major league team. It would be nice if all five teams could eventually compete for the division, but it looks like Tampa Bay has no desire.

Tampa's new ownership group made it pretty clear what their plan was going to be. They specifically said they were not going to spend money on free agents just for the sake of spending money. They spent their first 2 seasons spending some money on the facility (which was badly needed!!!) and picked up Pena and Iwamura, 2 nice options for the infield.

So far, they've stuck to their plan. This offseason they've patched some pretty big pitching holes, but still have a little work to do on the bullpen. They will field one of the, if not the most dynamic young lineups in the game. Now there's obviously no guarantees when talking about prospects but I don't believe the kids that will make the leap to the bigs this season can really be any worse than what they're replacing, while their upside is tremendous. They will have some growing pains but with a little time will begin to show returns. This team isn''t going to shock the world and make a run at the AL East this year, but they will be a tough team to face and we should see flashes of the good things to come in the very near future.

The Rays will be just fine this year and Tampa has shown it will support a winner (see Bucs and Lightning). A small leap of faith this year from the Tampa area baseball fans to support the Rays will only help speed the process along. It's really fairly simple to figure out. More fannies in seats means more revenue. More revenue means the ability to spend money to fill the holes in your roster and keep your young talent for more than 3 years. A competitive roster means more wins. More wins means more fannies in the seats. It's an endless circle but the Rays just haven't figured out where to jump into that circle. They look to be making the right moves so far this offseason, the Tampa area fans just have to buy into that and come out to support them. If the fans hold up their end of the deal, it will make it that much easier on the players. It would be nice to see Tropicana Field actually give the Rays a home field advantage instead of being Fenway or Yankee Stadium South. It would be really nice to go to a Tampa/Boston or Tampa/Yankee game and see more green than red or blue. Every Tampa fan that buys a ticket to those games deprives s Sox/Yankee fan a seat.

For the first time in it's history, Tampa's ownership looks to be doing their part, it's time for Tampa baseball fans to do theirs.
jpop13 Post #5: 12:11 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 3532

I believe the Rays will compete. They have a good starting Rotion with Kazmire, Shields, Garza and Im calling it know that Jackson will have a good season. They also have a desent lineup that packs a punch. Upton, Crawford, Pena and Floid, Iwamura and Gomes. Ok so not murders row but a formidable lineup. Also the pen isnt too bad but could use another guy or two. If they can get Dan Wheeler to step up they should be fine.
Clan in da front Post #6: 3:07 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 240

Tampa is building a pretty formidable team for 2010 and beyond. They have by far the strongest minor league system in the league, with plently of talent in the rotation and on offense in Tampa already.

Toronto has one of the best pitching staffs in the league with a pretty decent bullepn and their lineup isn't bad, it underachieved last year.

Boston is coming of a World Series win and should be the favorite to repeat. They have a lot of young talent in the rotation and in the bullpen, with the second strongest farm system in baseball, according to Baseball America. They play great defense and have one of the best offenses in baseball.

The Yankees have a top offense, with young guys like Kennedy, Joba, Hughes, and Wang in the rotation. They have a top five farm system according to Baseball America. They're getting older though.

Baltimore is a mess. They'll trade Bedard and one of the only bright spots is Nick Markakis. They will finish dead last.
EC_Bias Post #7: 3:16 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2591

The Yankees have a top offense, with young guys like Kennedy, Joba, Hughes, and Wang in the rotation. They have a top five farm system according to Baseball America. They're getting older though.

In addition to a top farm system, to be honest, they're getting younger. The rotation is evolving. DH, 1B, RF and LF will be a decade younger in 2 years, CF already is. While Jeter is aging - he isn't a dinosaur at SS and a 33 year old AROD is fine. 2B already transitioned - all that's really left is Jorge.

Steveringo Post #8: 3:35 pm Quote | Report Violation

I believe the Rays will compete. They have a good starting Rotion with Kazmire, Shields, Garza and Im calling it know that Jackson will have a good season. They also have a desent lineup that packs a punch. Upton, Crawford, Pena and Floid, Iwamura and Gomes. Ok so not murders row but a formidable lineup. Also the pen isnt too bad but could use another guy or two. If they can get Dan Wheeler to step up they should be fine.

They definitely have a chance to get lucky in the next couple years.... Unless they open their wallets, it will not last.
danterp87 Post #9: 4:02 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 4997

For now, yes. The sad thing is that The Rays only hope is 4th place. At least we know Baltimore will try to compete in the future. Tampa will probably never spend the necessary money.

People ignore the O's farm system b/c the Yanks, Sox and Rays systems are so highly regarded, but the O's have a top 10 farm system as well. Also, all their money is coming off the books after '09, so it'll be really interesting to see how they spend money in the next couple of years. Also, while the major league roster will suck, you're looking at a top 3-5 farm system in baseball if/when Bedard and Roberts are traded.

The reality is the Sox and Yanks are in position to rule for a long long time. They have great major league teams and great farm systems - though the Yankees is definitely overrated and is unlikely to produce any stars from what they have down there now. The Jays system is trash and they're living from year to year off of FA signings and the like. The Rays have a lot of young talent and look like they'll eventually compete - I mean they have too, right? They have the #1 in the draft yet again. You can only fail for so long when you keep getting the best talent out there. The O's future will be determined between '09 and '10. That's when they'll have all the money in the world to outbid any and every team in the game - including the Yanks and Sox. And they'll also see what they really have from all that young talent in the farm.

2010 should be very interesting in the AL East as the Sox and Yanks will remain powers, the DRays should finally have overwhelming young talent and the Orioles have a good mix of stud free agents and young talent. The Blue Jays look to be in position to be at the bottom of the AL East for a very long time from 2009/10 on.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

January 7th, 2008 at 2:58 pm

RE: Ellsbury and plate discipline:
His OBP in the minors was .390. His OBP in the majors last year was over .390.
And he has excellent plate coverage; anyone who saw him in the playoffs saw him hit some tough pitches bending out of the zone for hits. So he walks a lot, but doesn’t stand there and strike out. He’s a very tough out.

Melky Cabrera had an OBP of .340 in the minors and the same in the majors. He is just a very different sort of hitter.

Ellsbury projects to a high on-base guy with speed that you ink in at lead-off for the next 6-15 years.

I think that if the Twins believe that Hughes is likely to stay healthy and really could be an ace, you make that trade. But pitchers are unpredictable. I think if you look at his history and his athleticism, Ellsbury is as predictable as a player can be. He is what he is: high OBP, high speed, good field, low power but a litlle pop.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:40 pm

MLB enacts new rules to combat PED use

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

January

This press release came from MLB today:

As part of an evolving process to prevent the illegal use of performance-enhancing substances, Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that Major League Baseball has enhanced current clubhouse security, based on the recommendations of Senator George J. Mitchell, by unilaterally implementing a number of security measures and logistical changes.

The changes announced today are part of a continuing effort to improve clubhouse security. In recent years, the Commissioner’s Office has worked with the Clubs to limit access, has banned personal trainers from clubhouses, and has limited access by vendors to specified areas. The Commissioner’s Office has also required Clubs to maintain logs of clubhouse visitors, with only members of the BBWAA being exempt.

Today, Clubs were notified that the following clubhouse security and logistical measures will be universally enforced:

• Background checks will be performed on all existing clubhouse personnel and new hires.

• Random drug tests will be performed on all clubhouse personnel.

• Clubs will be required to maintain a log of all packages sent to clubhouses at Major League ballparks.

• Clubs will be required to distribute Major League Baseball’s Policy on “Disclosing Information Relating to the Use, Possession or Distribution of Prohibited Substances” to all Club employees and to post the policy in the clubhouse.

• The overnight notice to Clubs before the arrival of Comprehensive Drug Testing personnel has been eliminated. All Clubs will be required to have a single, designated area for collections in both the home and visiting clubhouses. Collectors will be provided with permanent, official credentials and their access will be facilitated.

“These security and logistical changes are important additional steps in combating the illegal use of performance-enhancing substances,” Commissioner Selig said. “Major League Baseball is pleased to act on the recommendations made by Senator Mitchell as part of its ongoing clubhouse security procedures. Major League Baseball will soon be announcing additional changes based on the recommendations made by Senator Mitchell.”

1. Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 7th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

A little too late, no?
2. mel January 7th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Good. Should’ve been done a long time ago. Professional football players are only allowed to buy supplements and OTC drugs from vendors approved by the NFL. No “I didn’t know what was in those protein shakes” defense.
3. mel January 7th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Rebecca,

Roger the Martyr being burned at the stake.
4. Boston Dave January 7th, 2008 at 6:23 pm

murphydog -

just wanted to say thanks for your posts today… theyve been extremely informative and interesting.

for anyone who hasnt seen them, murphydog has been adding some of his legal insight all day
5. Boston Dave January 7th, 2008 at 6:24 pm

wow… MLB got this done just in time for the upcoming Congressional Hearing
6. jonnycat January 7th, 2008 at 6:25 pm

man, Selig sounds like such a sycophant here it bothers me. Not that they aren’t good recommendations though….
7. rb15 January 7th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

On another note, is it true that Canseco’s next book is coming out tomorrow? Do I need to wear a helmet to work tomorrow to protect myself from the Sox fans?
8. Boston Dave January 7th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I think I’d be pulling for any MLB player in Roger’s shoes for no other reason than simply to nullify the ridiculous Selig/Mitchell report.
9. Boston Dave January 7th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

rb15 - I dont think that can be true. Last I heard the Canseco book hadnt even been started.
10. Boston Dave January 7th, 2008 at 6:30 pm

yet another new Pete post….
11. i miss bernie January 7th, 2008 at 6:31 pm

well the new rules kind of back up the mitchell report but at the same time its kind of like saying “yeah these trainers are a slimy bunch” even though the mitchell report is basically based solely on the tesimony of 2 trainers.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Yankees hire Mackanin

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

The Yankees have hired former interim Reds manager Pete Mackanin as a major league scout. Makes sense, given his experience.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:49 pm

McNamee: I'd go to jail for Clemens

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7645506

Associated Press
Updated: January 7, 2008, 6:11 PM EST 59 comments
RSS digg blog email print
HOUSTON (AP) - Roger Clemens' former trainer said he was willing to go to jail and repeatedly asked the pitcher "what do you want me to do?" during a 17-minute telephone conversation last week.

Must-read:
# Kriegel: A task too tall for LSU?

# Rosenthal: Clemens' ultimate gamble

# Long: Great time for Eli to get hot

# Must-see: BCS Live: Ohio St.'s motivation

# Chargers finally get playoff win

# For more videos, click here. Must-know: Redskins expected to go after Briggs
For all of today's rumors, click here. Top headlines:
# Clemens plays ex-trainer phone call

# T.O. will be game-time decision

# Vick transferred to Leavenworth

# For all of today's top stories, click here. Worth a thousand words: Sunday NFL Wild Card action

# Photos from the Orange Bowl

For more photos, click here.

A recording of last Friday's conversation between Clemens and Brian McNamee was played Monday at the start of Clemens' news conference. Clemens' lawyers said that because McNamee didn't deny Clemens' claims that he never used steroids, it amounted to proof that Clemens was telling the truth.

"I'll go to jail, I'll do whatever you want," McNamee said during the conversation.

"I need somebody to tell the truth," Clemens said.

During the tape, McNamee never said he lied when he told baseball investigator George Mitchell last year that he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone in 1998, 2000 and 2001.

"I'm in your corner," McNamee said. "I'd also like not to go to jail, too."

Late Sunday, Clemens filed a defamation suit against McNamee in Texas state court.

Clemens was mostly expressionless while the tape played, even when McNamee said, "You treated me like family."

Clemens said McNamee initiated the conversation, which was laced with emotion and profanity. McNamee, a former strength coach for the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees, sounded as if he were a desperate man.

"I'm firing my lawyers. I'm getting rid of everybody," McNamee said. "My wife is gone. My kids are gone."

After the tape was played, Hardin said Clemens was willing to testify Jan. 16 to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Clemens and McNamee were invited to Washington along with Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch and Kirk Radomski, the former Mets' clubhouse attendant alleged to have provided McNamee with performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'm going to Congress and I'm going to tell the truth," Clemens said.

On Sunday, CBS's "60 Minutes" aired a Dec. 28 interview with Clemens, the first time he answered questions since the Mitchell Report on drugs in baseball was released Dec. 13. Monday was the first time Clemens answered questions from a group of reporters.

His anger at reporters for the way he has been portrayed was clear when he mentioned the Hall of Fame. There has speculation that the allegations in the Mitchell Report would hurt his chances for induction.

"Do you think I played my career because I care about the Hall of Fame? ... If you have a vote ... you keep your vote," he said and walked off shortly afterward.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Bruckner is fine, I hope. At least he was not a CHEATER and LIER like Roger...WAAAAA!
johnnynofear
1/7/2008
3:48 PM (report inappropriate content)

Roger you still deserve to be in Hall of Fame...regardless...Deny.
..Deny...Deny....
StevoinHTown This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:48 PM (report inappropriate content)

Yer right Paxton...that was "Damage Control PR" and not very well done at all...
sskkooll
1/7/2008
3:47 PM (report inappropriate content)

What is the difference between Clemens and Bonds. Nothing, they are both roid heads.
paxton2010
1/7/2008
3:46 PM (report inappropriate content)

Nice, staged phone call Clemens camp!! When McNamee said, "what do you want me to do Roger"?, the answer should have been a resounding: Immediately retract all of the lies that you have told!! Why would you make up these BS lies about me, Brian??? Not once in 17 minutes did Clemens get pissed about these so called lies!!! Rusty, your strategy backfired playing that BS scripted phone call!!
dense81 This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:46 PM (report inappropriate content)

shoreshark

Sweet Caroline is your favorite song and that makes me wonder what team your playing for.
Fortheloveofthegame This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:45 PM (report inappropriate content)

Shoreshark, How is Bill Buckner doing these days? Along with Oil Can Boyd?
Zado1
1/7/2008

Steroids as well as all "under the counter" drugs have always been illegal without a prescription. The people that say that steroids were legal before 2002 are simply very misguided individuals (including writers for Fox). The players union, under immense pressure, finally agreed to testing to commence in the 2002 season.
Shoreshark This user has a blog
1/7/2008

Pete Rose, yes. Clemens NO!
sskkooll
1/7/2008
3:43 PM (report inappropriate content)

Roger throw away that shovel. You are digging a hole that is too deep to climb out of. That tape did not help you at all. If anything it makes you look more guilty. Mcnamee has nothing to win by telling a lie. You have everything to lose if you do not tell a lie. My guess is that you are the one telling the lie.
fando
1/7/2008

no one seems to care.whatever happenend to Bruno Sanmartino?. He was a good a second baseman.
cryptic1972
1/7/2008

Can someone please explain something? If these steroids were not banned until 2005 then why is it an issue? They weren't illegal yet. That would be like if you were a smoker and then they banned cigarettes and the feds threw you in jail because you used to smoke. If I mised an important point then please by all means correct me.
Fortheloveofthegame This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:42 PM (report inappropriate content)

Exactly, MLB did nothing but draw fat paychecks while McGuire, Bonds and Sosa were blasting homeruns and saving baseball after that pathetic strike in "94"... The Commisioner is the biggest Idiot out of the bunch.
cruzmssl
1/7/2008
3:41 PM (report inappropriate content)

Having Clemens testify in front of Congress is a huge waste of time and money. Congress should be worried about our country going in the tank and the young Americans that continue to lose their lives in Iraq; but these granstanding congressional wimps want the publicity that will come from this. If my congressman ends up on the committee he will never again get my vote. Personally I think Clemens did it, but I could care less what he stuck in his rear end, he is however an egotistical jerk.
DocZ
1/7/2008

The biggest idoit? on here is Johnnyboy what ever and his proff positive? People get real. for one reason, Clemens is not guilty of anything at the moment. Ole Johnny has him guilty of perjury here already. Even if the guy is lying IT DOESN'T make a bit of difference. The stuff wasnt illegal. Johnnyboy turn in your computer you aren’t smart to run a spell check. Clemens belongs in the Hall of Fame on the First Ballot and so does Pete Rose.
Shoreshark This user has a blog
1/7/2008

Roger, if you are lucky maybe both you and your trainer will be cell mates in Prison. That is where you go when you commit perjury!
Unless you want Bubba as a room-mate! You probably do from the sound of that phone call!
Bubba will add a whole new way to use the names "A-Rod" and "The Rocket" that we all know you will like!
MetsYanks
1/7/2008

I bleieve that Roger is telling the truth. Before you pass judgement, consider the effort that he expended daily to achieve excellence. A man with that drive and regimen would not risk the injury to his tendos as he would know that the steroids would create muscle mass that would destroy his ligaments and tendons.

It is disgusting how quickly the American press jumps to negative conclusions. I be if Lupica or Kreigel, for example, were disparaged in the press or by someone of celebrity, they would want the benefit of the doubt that they fail to give to Clemens.
formerIndianian This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:40 PM (report inappropriate content)

I never cease to be amazed at the lack of intelligence in the comments to what writers "write". Sports writers as well as the press in general are destroying anyone they want to. Look at how they have ganged up on the coach from Okla who stood up for his team players. Look at how Clemmens is being ham strung...look at how Bonds has been written about. Most of it is guess work and to do what most people to on this blog/comments. Total ignorance...for the most part. I am going out on a limb but I totally believe Roger Clemens. I may not have been in his corner when he pitched but I am at the moment. Those of you who rant and talk without thinking...try being accused of something you have not done. How do you think the many, many people in jail who are innocent?? I blame the press in so many many ways..
peace....
StevoinHTown This user has a blog
1/7/2008
3:40 PM (report inappropriate content)

that conversation was BS...

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Please let us know what you think about ESPN's message boards.
Read ESPN's message board rules here.

consipiracy theory
trotdaubach Post #1: 6:20 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 6865

could they have set this tape up since mcnamee and clemens are friends maybe both know they are being taped and they word the conversation in a way where clemens may seem innocent and mcnamee may still be telling the truth.

but, seriously, whoever is telling the truth really should have talked differently during that conversation. morons, the both of them.

lol.
WilliamZabka Post #2: 6:23 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 6641

See post number 4 in the 17 minute thread.

I CANNOT IMAGINE that either would be so stupid as to think that this conversation wouldn't be recorded.
SheaHilly4Prez Post #3: 6:26 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 3855
Decent theory. It's certainly possible that they could've planned this out, and made sure that neither guy really comes out on top in the conversation. Clemens gains some support in that McNamee never says he did it, and McNamee gains some sympathy from what he's going through with his son...
trotdaubach Post #4: 6:36 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 6865

mcnamee never says "but i just had to tell them the truth to avoid jail"

and roger never says "just come out and tell the truth"

one of those should have happened.
WilliamZabka Post #5: 6:41 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 6641

mcnamee never says "but i just had to tell them the truth to avoid jail"

and roger never says "just come out and tell the truth"

one of those should have happened.

For the most part true. McNamee did say something to the extent of "I didn't want to go to jail." But if he had half a brain, he's have said, "Roger, I had to tell them about your roid use or I'd go to jail. I'm sorry, but I have a family and my son can't have a father in prison."

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Youthful Rays on verge of making noise

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7633184

by Dayn Perry
Dayn Perry is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com and author of the new book, "Winners: How Good Baseball Teams Become Great Ones" (Available now at Amazon.com).
Updated: January 6, 2008, 2:22 AM EST 36 comments
RSS digg blog email print
Thus far in their relatively brief history, the Tampa Bay Rays have been notable only for the depths of their failures.

Must-read:
# Kriegel: A task too tall for LSU?

# Rosenthal: Clemens' ultimate gamble

# Long: Great time for Eli to get hot

# Must-see: BCS Live: Ohio St.'s motivation

# Chargers finally get playoff win

# For more videos, click here. Must-know: Redskins expected to go after Briggs
For all of today's rumors, click here. Top headlines:
# Clemens plays ex-trainer phone call

# T.O. will be game-time decision

# Vick transferred to Leavenworth

# For all of today's top stories, click here. Worth a thousand words: Sunday NFL Wild Card action

# Photos from the Orange Bowl

For more photos, click here.

In 10 seasons on the job, the hapless Rays have managed to finish in last place every year but one. As well, they've ranked last in the American League in attendance for seven straight years, and their home ballpark is an absolute hole. In other words, they're the punchline of a joke that's not particularly funny.

At long last, however, things are finally looking up for this blighted franchise. That's because the Rays, at this moment, have one of the most staggering collections of young talent in recent history. In some ways, that's a natural consequence of having so many high draft picks in succession, but, whatever the reasons, Rays fans — both of them! — finally have cause for optimism.

Consider the under-age-25 talents the Rays currently have at the major-league level: lefty Scott Kazmir (led the AL in strikeouts last season as a 23-year-old), right-hander Matt Garza (3.69 ERA last season in Minnesota), center fielder B.J. Upton (2007 batting line of .300 AVG/.386 OBP/.508 SLG), and catcher Dioner Navarro. And that's to say nothing of right-hander James Shields (215 innings and a 3.85 ERA in 2007), and outfielders Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli, who are all age 26. That's impressive enough, but there's much more on the way.

To wit, there's third baseman Evan Longoria, who may be the top prospect in all of baseball; lefty David Price, the top overall pick of the 2007 draft and owner of one of the filthiest sliders you'll ever see; right-hander Wade Davis, who's got a tremendous power arsenal; outfielder Desmond Jennings, a power-speed guy who can pick it in center; shortstop Reid Brignac, who could put up big numbers by positional standards; and Jacob McGee, who has one of the best lefty fastballs around. And let's also not forget that they'll have the first overall pick in the June draft.

What's immediately apparent is that the Rays finally have some pitching. Last season, Tampa ranked last in the AL in runs allowed per game, and only once have they placed in the top half of the league in that category.

But that's about to change. Kazmir, Shields, and Garza already form one of the best one-two-three trios in all of baseball. Price has ace potential, and Davis and McGee also have the stuff to thrive as members of a major-league rotation.

The upshot is that the Rays, provided all these young arms stay healthy, could have the top rotation in the game within the next three or four years. That's a drastic reversal of fortune for the organization that counts things like Tanyon Sturtze, Dewon Brazleton, and Albie Lopez among its past Opening Day starters.

On the offensive side of things, the Rays are similarly well positioned. Upton and Longoria will contend for the MVP Award some day, Jennings has a tremendous ceiling, and Brignac profiles as a J.J. Hardy-type at the highest level. What's also encouraging on this front is that the Rays, led by VPs Andrew Friedman and Gerry Hunsicker, finally have a heady front office in place. That's going to be critical when it comes to filling out the lineup with affordable and productive solutions.

This isn't to say all is worry-free going forward. The Rays, of course, have the misfortune of toiling in the AL East, which means they must compete with the moneyed and generally smart Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

More critically, the Rays, since they have so much young talent in place, are going to be faced with a cascade of salary escalation in the coming seasons. As all these young players head into their arbitration and free-agency seasons, the Rays will need to pay the going rates or else fall into a perpetual state of rebuilding. Already rumors have it that Tampa is open to trading Kazmir. Suffice it to say, doing so would be a mammoth mistake and a regrettable sign of things to come.

Rays ownership obviously wants a stronger revenue base before it begins making such investments, but investing in the product is the necessary first step. As history has proved time and again, fans will support a winning team. The Rays, if they do what's necessary to keep guys like Kazmir in place, will find success on the field. Then the fan base — and the coffers — will grow. But it's incumbent upon ownership to make it happen.

Overall, the Rays are headed for better times. They've got the best young talent in the game, and they've got capable decision-makers in the front office. This is a team that, if left in place, will contend for a playoff berth as soon as 2009 and keep it up for years to come. Provided ownership steps up, the Rays will be punchlines no more.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm

The Other Side Of The Yankees Prospects

Thanks to Steve Lombardi of Waswatching for posting Yankees Prospects Weaknesses"

http://waswatching.com/

Joba Chamberlain

Chamberlain will need to keep his weight in check, which would help him avoid any recurrence of his past knee, hamstring or triceps tendinitis issues. He needs to maintain the mechanical improvements he has made as a pro, which keep him more balanced and direct his energy toward the plate, rather than side-to-side. He must prove he can maintain his stuff through a full season. His career high for innings remains the 119 he threw for Nebraska as a sophomore.

Austin Jackson

Jackson takes a healthy cut and doesn't have great times to first base out of the batter's box, but he has average speed and has improved his first step considerably. He's still gaining baseball experience, which shows in his pitch recognition and baserunning acumen.

Jose Tabata

Tabata's offensive future still involves some projection, and there's some concern his thickening body could lose some athleticism, rendering him more one-dimensional. Scouts outside the organization chide him for failing to give a consistent effort.

Ian Kennedy

With only one above-average pitch, Kennedy has to hit his spots, but he usually does. At times his curve is too slow, dipping to 69-72 mph, and lacks sharpness.

Alan Horne

Horne's arm action is long, leading to inconsistent release points and below-average command, and it likely contributed to his past elbow injury. The Yankees have shortened his delivery in other ways to compensate, but it's not a correctable flaw and limits Horne's ceiling. He doesn't field his position or hold runners particularly well.

Jesus Montero

At 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, Montero already has grown very large for an 18-year-old. The Yankees say he has lower-body flexibility, necessary for blocking balls in the dirt, and he has worked hard to become a solid receiver. There are mixed opinions about his ability to stay at catcher, and he'll have to keep working on his body and catch-and-throw skills to stay behind the plate. He threw out just three of 32 basestealers (9 percent) in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League in his pro debut.

Jeff Marquez

Marquez doesn't have enough power or bite to his curveball for it to be a strikeout pitch, and he's dependent on his defense because he doesn't miss a lot of bats. He'll have to continue to refine his fastball command and have that pitch play up if his curve doesn't improve.

Brett Gardner

Gardner has hit one homer the last two years and doesn't have the swing path or strength to hit for much more. He'll have to prove he won't be overpowered in the majors, and he needs to hang in better against lefthanders to avoid becoming a platoon player. His arm is below average yet playable in center.

Ross Ohlendorf

Lefthanders owned Ohlendorf when he was a starter because his changeup was fringy. He's added a splitter to see if that will help. His command slipped at the outset of 2007 but improved dramatically once he moved to the bullpen.

Andrew Brackman

Brackman's elbow injury turned out to be a torn ligament; he had Tommy John surgery immediately after signing in mid-August. He won't pitch in his first pro game until 2009, which is even more of a setback because he worked just 149 innings in three years at N.C. State.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:01 pm

* ESPN.com | MyESPN | Profile | Inbox | Register | Forgot: Password Member Name | Member Services | Not virgilio?
Member Name: Welcome, virgilio | Sign Out Password:

* Profile Home

* Conversations
* Welcome Screen
* Profile Search

Pettitte's new lawyer represented Sosa at 2005 steroids hearing
Associated Press

Monday, January 7, 2008

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte retained a new lawyer for his upcoming appearance before a congressional committee and will be represented by Pittsburgh attorney Jay Reisinger. Pettitte, Roger Clemens and Chuck Knoblauch, the three players invited to testify Jan. 16 before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, all share the same agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks. Clemens is being represented on drug matters by Houston lawyer Rusty Hardin. Reisinger represented Sammy Sosa whe ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-12)
o
Kapnasty
Kapnasty (2 hours ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
I wonder if Pettitte now wishes that he hadn't come clean and had instead teamed up with Clemens against Mcnamee?
o
altrock1903
altrock1903 (2 hours ago)
omg, there is a lawyer on tv, talking. make it stop, please the pain, the pain. i see the strategy, the lawyer will cause mass suicide, problem solved.
o
gary286134
gary286134 (2 hours ago)
Can Andy lie for Roger, better than he can lie for himself?
o
krbtx8
krbtx8 (2 hours ago)
no habla ingles!
o
StraferPraha
StraferPraha (2 hours ago)
Maybe Andy can arrange to be arrested for polygamy before he has to testify. That would make everyone forget about the steroid allegations in a hurry Smile
o
donden1
donden1 (3 hours ago)

Me speak no English......

--Andy Petite
o
StraferPraha
StraferPraha (3 hours ago)
What I wouldn't give to see Andy pull a Sosa Smile
o
EricKohli9200
EricKohli9200 (3 hours ago)
"Biesbol has been very very good to me." - Pettite to congress
o
altrock1903
altrock1903 (3 hours ago)

'all share the same agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks.'

i did not know this. perhaps the hendricks brothers should testify as well. jan. 16, a very significant day in history. frank zamboni and dizzy dean born on that day. vermont declares its independence from new york. coincidence? i think not.
o
Eternalz
Eternalz (3 hours ago)
clemens is a moron!
o
packandcanes
packandcanes (3 hours ago)
I wonder if Pettitte will forget how to speak English as well..
o
DeadlyPitbull
DeadlyPitbull (4 hours ago)
First?

Comments that include profanity, or personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming" or "trolling," or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

Manage your ignored list (0)

* Hottest Conversations
* Real-Time

Ohio State, LSU to meet in B... (67545)
LSU Tigers at Ohio State Buc... (21237)
Jacksonville Jaguars at New ... (3523)
Seattle Seahawks at Green Ba... (2165)
New York Giants at Dallas Co... (1791)
Buckeyes or Tigers need to p... (1679)
Clemens files defamation law... (1508)
North Carolina Tar Heels at ... (1033)
Spicer stands by comments he... (886)
San Diego Chargers at Indian... (630)
Sources say Jones picks SMU ... (598)
Final Four format for footba... (495)
10 reasons Ohio State/LSU wi... (460)
AP picks Colts' Sanders as t... (441)
Power Rankings: Celtics over... (360)
Vick transferred to Kansas t... (294)
Bracketology: The field of 65 (235)
One thing Clemens can't change (192)
Tar Heels remain No. 1 with ... (190)
Open Hall's doors for these ... (145)
Clemens plays tape of conver... (138)
T.O., nursing ankle sprain, ... (98)
Vote: Do you believe Roger C... (38)
Denver Nuggets at Phoenix Suns (21)
LIVE: Roger Clemens Gives Hi... (19)

Conversations in Real-Time
Copyright ©️2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. All rights reserved. | Terms of Use | Jobs at ESPN | Help | Feedback | Contact | Privacy Policy

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Clemens' proactive lawsuit is both propaganda and profile
Munson

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=munson_lester&id=3185262

By Lester Munson
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Three words describe Roger Clemens' lawsuit against Brian McNamee. Two of them are nouns: profile and propaganda. One of them is an adjective: proactive.

The profile: What Clemens offers in the lawsuit filed Sunday night is a detailed listing of his feats as one of the great pitchers of all time. He devotes 10 paragraphs and five pages of his 14-page lawsuit to career highlights that go back to his days in high school. If he's that good as a pitcher, the suit suggests, how can anyone think he is lying about steroids?

The propaganda: The suit includes both a reminder that Clemens was "raised primarily by a single mother who worked several jobs" and an attack on McNamee as a suspected rapist who could not find work until Clemens hired him.

Both the detailed profile of greatness and the propaganda are highly unusual in a civil lawsuit that claims defamation and seeks money damages. Most lawyers file papers that are lean and spare in their descriptions, hoping to avoid a nasty backlash and expecting to add details as the suit progresses.

But the adjective is the most important here. The lawsuit is a "proactive" strike against McNamee. Clemens filed his case in Houston, his home court, where his lawyers have enjoyed extraordinary success. When McNamee gets around to filing his countersuit, he is stuck now. He must file it in Texas, the forum selected by Clemens and his lawyers.

As a profile of Clemens' greatness, as propaganda, and as a proactive strike, the lawsuit does more than seek monetary damages for defamation. It is part of a deliberate and planned campaign of defiance of the charges in the Mitchell report, a campaign that included Clemens' interview with Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes" and his press conference on Monday afternoon and that will continue with his appearance before the U.S. House of Representatives next week.

The detailed description of Clemens' baseball career is very uncommon in a defamation lawsuit. Clemens wants everyone to remember how great he is. In a lengthy description of his first 20-strikeout game in 1986, it includes a quote from his manager: "I watched perfect games by Catfish Hunter and Mike Witt, but this was the most awesome pitching performance I've ever seen." The suit doesn't name the manager, keeping the focus on Clemens. (For the record, the manager of the Red Sox in 1986 was John McNamara.)

It even reminds us of the statement Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette made in 1996 when Duquette failed to re-sign Clemens and let him go to Toronto. Duquette famously said he wished Clemens well in the "twilight of his career." Just in case anyone has forgotten, the lawsuit reminds us that Clemens won the Cy Young and the pitching triple crown in his first year with the Blue Jays.

When he won only seven games for the Astros in 2006, the suit makes sure we know it was because of "low run support." It may be the first time in the history of American jurisprudence that "low run support" has made it into a legal document.

The propaganda touches in the suit include a description of a rape investigation in Florida that involved McNamee. It is highly unlikely that any mention of the rape investigation would be made in a trial of the Clemens case; but apparently, it was important to Clemens and his attorneys to let us know that McNamee "lied to police officers and refused their requests for evidence." No charges were ever filed against McNamee.

The lawsuit also accuses McNamee in dramatic terms of changing his story to federal investigators and to Mitchell. Clemens calls McNamee's decision to tell what he thinks is the truth a "recantation," and suggests that it came only after threats of jail and a "cold war era interrogation."

With the profile and the propaganda come dramatic statements of what McNamee and the Mitchell report have done to Clemens. Their allegations, Clemens asserts, have "captured the attention of the nation, fueled rampant speculation and irreparably tainted the reputation of one of baseball's hardest working and most talented pitchers."

If that's the damage to Clemens, the damage to McNamee is just beginning. Clemens' proactive filing leaves McNamee in a bad spot. Not only must he respond to Clemens in Texas, he is up against Clemens' formidable resources. In litigation, money matters -- and Clemens will clearly have the edge over McNamee.

If there was any doubt about Clemens' rage against the Mitchell report, the lawsuit resolves them. Clemens is on a campaign of denial and defiance.

It might work. But if there is a smoking syringe out there somewhere, it won't.

Lester Munson, a Chicago lawyer and journalist who has been reporting on investigative and legal issues in the sports industry for 18 years, is a senior writer for ESPN.com

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Rocket Man is just TOO full of himself. I dont buy a word of what he is trying to sell.
What a complete conceited egomaniac.

"Doth thee protest too much?" Applies to Clemens and his whole advisory team.

take a lie detector test you scumbag!!!!!! easily clear this up, yet you and your lawyer deny that it would help. i liked you when you were playing, yet seeing you these last couple of weeks squirm your way around the truth is upsetting. take the lie detector test you worthless scumbag!!!!

I watched the 60 minutes interview and call me cynical but I'm not sure that was anger in Clemens' voice so much as I heard arrogance. In the sense of "how dare anyone question me" was the vibe I got from Clemens. Clemens did raise a good point when he said that if he was injected with steroids and it worked wonders for him, why didn't he then continue taking them. I don't know who is telling the truth, I wasn't there. None of us were.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Clemens plays tape of conversation with distraught McNamee

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3185494

Roger Clemens repeatedly denied using steroids during a conversation with Brian McNamee, but the former trainer would not confirm or deny his claims.

On Monday in Houston, Clemens and his lawyer played a tape of a 17-minute conversation between the two last week as the pitcher continues his defense of allegations in the Mitchell Report that he used performance-enchancing drugs.

McNamee told the Mitchell commission that he injected the seven-time Cy Young award winner with steroids and human growth hormone 16-21 times in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Clemens asserts that the trainer only injected hime with the painkiller lidocaine and the vitamin B-12.

"For the life of me I'm trying to figure out why you told guys I did steroids," Clemens said to McNamee on the tape.

"I understand that," McNamee responded.

Over and over, Clemens makes statements like, "I just want the truth out there and like I said, I can't believe what is being said."

But McNamee never says that he lied to the Mitchell commission regarding Clemens' alleged steroid use. He does repeatedly ask what he can do for Clemens.

"I'm telling the truth and I want it out there," Clemens said, and McNamee responded, "Tell me what you want me to do. I'll go to jail. I'll do whatever you want."

At no point in the conversation does McNamee say that he would be willing to say that Clemens did not take steroids. It is not clear if McNamee knew the conversation was being taped.

McNamee, however, is obviously distraught in the profanity-laced conversation. Saying his son is sick and that he has no money, McNamee said, "I want it to go away. I'm with you in your corner ... but I also don't want to go to jail. It has nothing to do with you. I'd also like to sit down in person with you."

Clemens does not agree to meet, instead saying, "Just give me a little time."

After the tape was played, Hardin said Clemens was willing to testify Jan. 16 to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Clemens and McNamee were invited to Washington along with Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch and Kirk Radomski, the former Mets' clubhouse attendant alleged to have provided McNamee with performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'm going to Congress and I'm going to tell the truth," Clemens said.

Laying out a timeline of events, Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said on Monday that they did find out before the release of the Mitchell Report that McNamee had made incriminating statements about Clemens. They decided not to respond, Hardin said, because it was not clear if the report would name names.

They also had another hope.

"Roger thought that since it was so untrue, perhaps Brian McNamee would change his mind," Hardin said.

The New York Daily News also reported on Monday that days before the scheduled release of the Mitchell Report Clemens' investigators asked McNamee whether he would be willing to recant.

McNamee reportedly called Clemens and Pettitte to warn them that he had spoken to the government. During an interview on "60 Minutes" which aired on Sunday night, Clemens denied knowing that he would be named by Mitchell.

Monday was the first time Clemens answered questions from a group of reporters.

His anger at reporters for the way he has been portrayed was clear when he mentioned the Hall of Fame. There has speculation that the allegations in the Mitchell Report would hurt his chances for induction.

"Do you think I played my career because I care about the Hall of Fame? ... If you have a vote ... you keep your vote," he said and walked off shortly afterward.

Clemens angrily denied taking performance-enhancing drugs on Sunday as well.

His appearance came after weeks of criticism that he wasn't publicly denying the allegations.

Hardin said on Monday the legal team told the pitcher to wait.

"We knew that once this came out, there would surely be congressional hearings," Hardin said.

Hardin also wanted to make clear that Clemens and his legal team was not questioning the integrity of former senator George Mitchell.

"How could an icon like George Mitchell, with unimpeachable integrity, put out a report that is a lie if Roger is telling the truth," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:05 pm

People People..We all know that Bonds took the juice because he grew enormously and his body was shutting down, and if Roger did it than his arm would have underwent some major stress causing him to lose some legiments. So Rocket I believe you because off the famous conditioning you did and to everyone who doesnt support you than they can shove it because their still gonna see you with that HOF plaque.

I like Roger Clemons. I like his fire and his competitive spirit. I believe he used steroids and that Mr. McNamee called Roger to inform him of his gravely ill son and that he is being crucified for telling the truth just as the players are being judged for cheating. Having been in a similar position in which it was my word against another's, I convinced the ficticious person to come clean, just as Roger should have when Mac asked him what he should do. Mac was not asking if Roger wanted him to come clean, he wanted to know how he could help Roger's family and the pain they were suffering. Mac had nothing to gain and everything to lose by lying about Roger. Roger had everything to lose by having this story come out. What motive would Mac have to lie or fabricate all these facts. Roger had every opportunity to have Mac tell the truth, if that meant telling people that Roger never used steroids. He didn't, and won't because he used them and they both know it. The lawsuit will not prove anything, only ruin Mac's life further. Roger speant the last weeks covering his tracks, making sure his trial wouldn't be discovered and no one else will colaborate Mac's story. This reminds me of Pete Rose, Bill Clinton and all the others that tried to convince us that they didn't, only to admit years later that they did.

Interesting, the phone conversation. Roger Clemens had more emotion(anger) at the news reporters than with his buddy on the telephone. The same guy he welcomed into his home, let break bread with his family and mentored as a father. Why would you not DEMAND the truth from McNamee??? Despite the former relationship, if someone is hurting you publicly and causing you and your family all this grief and you would not DEMAND that they tell the truth. Instead, you choose to dance a wonderful dance all the way around the subject, I mean he is cordial to the guy. It was INCREDIBLE to listen too. Oh and Mr. HealthConscious certainly trusted McNamee well enough to let him draw up into a syringe and inject an unknown substance into his body. I mean if I smoke a joint and because I am told by the dealer it is just a cigarette, Will the police officer not arrest me? GET REAL.
Lastly, his god-given talent and gifted skill was supported by faithful fans. Fans that sacrificed untold amounts of money in many cases to see the guy play and on other sports memorabilia. Lots of people "work their tail" off and don't EVER see the FORTUNE this jerk has earned. Only in America do we idolize these people. I mean you can throw a ball- grrrrreeeeeaaaaaaatt ttt!!!

In New York and Texas where the phone conversation took place, as long as one party consents, Clemens' lawyer said that, pay attention. "

The law in Texas you are referring to is towards taped conversations NOT including phone conversations. Read below.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication

Unlawful recording of a conversation, or disclosure of its contents with reason to know of the illegal interception, is a felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000. Texas Penal Code ? 12.33. A civil cause of action is expressly authorized for unlawful interception or disclosure. Texas Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code ? 123.002. The plaintiff may be entitled to $10,000 for each occurrence, actual damages in excess of $10,000, punitive damages and attorney fees and costs. Texas Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code ? 123.004.

As far as New York is concerned:

N.Y. Penal Law ?? 250.00, 250.05: It is a Class E felony to overhear or record a telephonic or telegraphic communication if one is not the sender or receiver, or does not have the consent of either the sender or receiver. It also is a crime for someone not present to overhear or record any conversation or discussion without the consent of at least one party to that conversation.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Steve Phillips just made a good argument - why alert Clemens handlers to Romanski in 2004 if there wasn't anything there.lol this is getting sad...Clemens continues to embarass himself. Its just gonna be worse for him when the truth eventually comes from his own mouth.I thought that tape was about McNamee being distraught and confused over his son and was willing to jump on a grenade to end it. not once did he even come closer to agreeing with Clemens as Clemens claimed innocence. Clemens had his lawyers by his side and I am sure that they could better place the mental state of McNamee and were most likely handing Roger the "claim your innocent notes" as often as possible to get it on tape.

I want to know why Roger was an animated today when he had clear signs of hiding something in the 60 Minutes interview. Todays outrage appeared to be a case of "I just got my out" with McNamee willing to go to jail for me.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Boras said the plan is to begin talks regarding a potential contract extension for catcher Jason Varitek [stats]during spring training.

“(Varitek) is a valuable part of the franchise who is a unique guy,” Boras said. “He’s a special man to an organization, which is realized more now than before.”

Source: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...862#articleFull

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:10 pm

George Kottaras can't really catch though, so I doubt the Red Sox or anyone should count on him as a full-time catcher. I also think the Sox buy at least some of the intangibles claims when it comes to Varitek and I could see an extension in the offing. I think it's different than dealing with Mike Lowell. I do think the Sox need to make sure they secure a good under 27 catcher soon, though. A blocked guy like a Chris Ianetta or Chris Snyder or maybe Taylor Teagarden, but it's a job that's very tough: catcher for the Red Sox. The stability we've enjoyed with Varitek can't be dismissed and in years when he's been healthy enough to play in the 2nd half we've generally won and had very good years. Most of it is NOT because of Varitek, but I know I adjusted my perceptions when I witnessed August of 2006 without him. He's got his flaws and some pitchers--ERIC GAGNE--are hurt more than helped, but I'd like him to be here to groom the next franchise catcher.

I'm in agreement here -- the Sox buy his pitch-calling, team-leading credentials. Not as much as they'd buy measureable hitting or caught stealing numbers, but management isn't blind to qualitative analysis.

That said, it's the last line that makes me think that the team will re-up him, but it's because there's no "franchise catcher" on the way, and it may take serious mentorship for a B-level prospect to take over. That, or they'll always be going for fringe hitters (the Greg Zaun's and AJ Pierzynski's of the league) and they might as well stick with what they know. There are really only two stud catching prospects in the minors (Matt Wieters and Jeff Clement) and then a solid prospect (Hank Conger) and a potential prospect (Teagarden). Jarrod Saltalamacchia should begin the season in the majors. Kurt Suzuki hasn't done much to merit placement. We're talking about FIVE reasonable catching prospects in the minors -- while it's upsetting that Kottaras didn't pan out, it's not at all unprecedented. It might not have even been expected. If this team takes to a cheap free-agent or a low-level prospect, I'd rather keep the aging Varitek due to his familiarity

What is Ron Johnson supposed to say? Kottaras made a lot of strides but is still woefully inept at throwing runners out and is a borderline catching prospect at this point? Given his stature and lack of bulk--and he's almost 25 now--I am not sure he can be even remotely considered as a 2009 option to be the full-time catcher. I'd be more willing to conceded some ground if I read an objective opinion from someone who is not his manager or employed by the Red Sox. In those times I got that kind of impartial views, most were very bearish on Kottaras being the heir apparent.

I agree to a point with the Posada sentiment, but:

Posada 2007 .338/.426/.543

Tek 2007 .255/.367/.421

Posada needs to be used as an outlier rather then a benchmark. The probability he maintains that level is very low.

With the lack of good catching prospects out there and good free agent catchers, you have to believe the Red Sox will ride Varitek out year by year until another option presents itself. Not that he's bad option considdering the league average catcher, but the Red Sox should expect a high level guy at every position especially catcher.

And if Varitek resigns I'd have to believe the Red Sox would rather sign a 1 year 10 million deal then 3 years 12 million. Just to leave options open to the team, and to not replace V-tek when he's still signed for a year. And 3 yrs/12mil is ridiculously low.

RedMagma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2